Gibson Brands Forums

j45s, which do you prefer?

thingthatisdone

I've used D'Addario P/B lights for the past 30 years and like them a lot on my J-45. I'd like to try mediums, but my left hand gets too cramped up to play for any length of time. Right now I have on a set of Elixer nanoweb 80/20 bronze lights and I really like the sound on the J-45. I'll probably put P/b back on at some point but I really like these. Switching around is a fun thing to do.

Isn't it amazing how folks opinions differ? I use 80/20s on all my guitars - always have for the last 48 years, approximately. I don't find them too bright at all - perhaps 10 mins after changing them - but then they quickly mellow down. I hate the feel of PBs somehow - they definately feel different to me, regardless of sound, which I find plummy usually. I am usually using Martins 12/54, or my favourite Newtones. Just had as set of Thomastik Infeld (Austrian) on the J-45 and they are OK too.

I like 80/20 bronze mediums on J45s. I find the Phos.B very bright, and the 80/20s have a nice old time sound. I do use the PBs mediums on my L-7, but It takes a few months before they settle in and sound right to me.

John Pearse, 80/20 mediums. I've tried I don't know how many strings, and these are my favorites, hands down. That being said, I'm doing more fingerstyle now than I ever have, and I currently am stringing my J45 with lights, which I'm liking a lot. My hands aren't getting any younger, and the difference in volume to me is negligable.

Well, so much response here is supportive of 80/20s that I am going to try a few packs this week. I always want to be open minded and it has been a few years since I played anything but Phosphor Bronze - so I will come back over the weekend and let you know if I have changed my mind about anything.

I was actually very surprised to see so many responders liking the 80/20s, so I am really intrigued.

Well' date=' so much response here is supportive of 80/20s that I am going to try a few packs this week. I always want to be open minded and it has been a few years since I played anything but Phosphor Bronze - so I will come back over the weekend and let you know if I have changed my mind about anything.

I was actually very surprised to see so many responders liking the 80/20s, so I am really intrigued.[/quote']

cool. i recommend martin sp 80/20s.

Archived