Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup upgrade

Silverbursted

My new R7 has the RS Guitarworks Vintage kit already installed. The "Vintage" sound is cool, but need something with a bit more oomph. I also want to complete my mental image of a Goldtop, and that is to have open double cream PuPs. I am thinking of a set of WB Hot Vintage Tuned PAFs. What do you guys recommend to compliment the RS kit while kicking it up a notch and having the double creams? Anyone have personal experience with the HVTPs?

What do you mean by "oomph"? Oomph, as in more vintage sounding, or oomph as in hotter, more aggressive pickups? If you want that more vintage sound, get another set of pickups with alnico II magnets. If you want that overwound PAF sound, get alnico V magnets.

Wolfetones, Skatterbrane, Peter Florence Voodoo, Bareknuckle, throbak, WB, etc., are all great pickups. I doubt you can go wrong with any of them...but reading a few posts at the LPF leads me to believe that Throbaks are the closest sounding pickups to real PAFs. I have Wolfetone Dr. Vintage (alnico IIs) in my R8 and Wolfetone Marshallheads (alnico Vs) in my LP Custom...along with RS Guitar parts. Great pickups, I can't say one bad thing about them.

Hmm even more to think about now. Thanks Tim, that will get me going in the right direction. And yes more oomph mean "hotter" for me. I like the PAF sound, but don't really care for AM radio mush that some can produce. I guess I'm looking for a more defined, clearer PAF sound.

Archived