Gibson Brands Forums

Refinishing?

Andre S

Does any of the paints used to refinish guitars ( nitro that is) smell? Because thats the only reason that I can't get my parents to allow me to refinish my studio.

Yes... All pain smells. That's why painters have large paint stalls/rooms with extraction fans' date=' wear a mask when painting and have odd uncontrollable twitches...default_eusa_wall.gif

Yes... All pain smells. That's why painters have large paint stalls/rooms with extraction fans' date=' wear a mask when painting and have odd uncontrollable twitches...default_eusa_wall.gif

damn it! that means that that whole other thread about the p-90s and ebony with bigsby is useless.

Nitro will smell for a while.

If you paint outside you can make a makeshift paint booth with a large cardboard box like those used on plasma TVs and adding some plastic to enclose the sides you need to be flexible.

You can hang the guitar somehow in the center and leave one side of the box only covered with plastic for you to paint and rotate the guitar.

Nitro is easy to work with but it takes longer and you need a lot of patience, more than you probably have given that you went from doing a binding to refinishing and adding P90s in a matter of days. By the time Nitro cures enough to handle in a month or so you may not like the guitar anymore. just sayin'

Nitro will smell for a while.

If you paint outside you can make a makeshift paint booth with a large cardboard box like those used on plasma TVs and adding some plastic to enclose the sides you need to be flexible.

You can hang the guitar somehow in the center and leave one side of the box only covered with plastic for you to paint and rotate the guitar.

Nitro is easy to work with but it takes longer and you need a lot of patience' date=' more than you probably have given that you went from doing a binding to refinishing and adding P90s in a matter of days. By the time Nitro cures enough to handle in a month or so you may not like the guitar anymore. just sayin'[/quote']

as in the tone? or ?

I picked up a '79 Ovation Balladeer a few weeks back. The top had one ugly repaired crack. It was originally white and had yellowed, and quite unevenly. Tonight I masked it off and sprayed one thin coat of white lacquer onto the top. The house reeks of lacquer. I didn't take it out in the garage because it's been spitting snow all day and besides being too cold, the lacquer would blush from the dampness.

Archived