Gibson Brands Forums

New SG owner

flyingarmadillo

Well, I gave in to a serious GAS attack over Christmas and bought a week 26 GOW ('61 reissue in classic white). I was a little hesitant about the white at first but it's growing on me. The fretboard is fairly pale and it looks great with the white. The '57 classic pups sound better than the Burstbucker Pro's in my LPVM, but the neck is going to take some getting used to. It may be slim but it's as wide as the neck on my 12 string acoustic. Right now it's probably my number 2, I still like my Strat better but this one is close!

Welcome aboard.

I take it this is your first SG? If so, it probably won't be your last. I gave in to GAS pains over the holidays as well and bought the week 37 - '67 SG Special with P90s. That was my third SG. By the way, the unwritten rule around here is until you post pictures, it doesn't exist.

I just got the SG Special II EMG Edition, I love it to death. But I feel like I’m not putting those sweet EMG's to good enough use. I mean the guitar sounds and plays great, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide on the best distortion tone. Right now I playing through a Line 6 Flextone 3 with the treadplate pre-amp, no gate with the mids dropped and the bass and treble high. Then I routed the whole thing through a Boss Metal Zone petal, I get good building feedback with the Mzone on, but also get a lot of buzz. Natural and pinch harmonics are a breeze with SG but they only sound really brutal with he Mzone on, and I’ve only been able to get the sound I want with the lead pick up on. I also have a fender strat squire (I know...crappy first guitar) but I got okay sounding distortion with a 3, 2 mix. I guess I just need some advice on unleashing this beast of a guitar, without all the noise and adding deeper but still cutting clear tone.

WOW... GAS was really going around over the holidays. I bought a week 37 - '67 SG Special with P90s as well. Kind of hard to get so when I found one I relieved my GAS pains immediately! Anyway, it is already my go to guitar. The P90s rock. I've always played 60's taper or similar necks so it took a little getting used to but now it feels great. So good in fact that I'm almost certain that my next guitar will be an SG standard in black. I have a 93 G&L Legacy and a standard LP that are feeling a little left out right now. The G&L has been relegated to alt tuning duties (don't get me wrong... it's a great guitar). I play it through a Fender Twin Reverb and sounds great. I'm still tweaking the tone. I plugged into a buddy's AC30 and was blown away and may be on the look out for one in the near future. OH-OH, does that mean I now have AAS pains? Anyway, great to be a new member of the SG community, love the guitar and as soon as I get photo bucket I'll post some pics.

Archived