Gibson Brands Forums

Have you ever..........?

onewilyfool

Last night I picked up one of my guitars, and started playing, and it sounded like crap.....(OR I sounded like crap) but I degress.....I had just changed the strings to Elixir's last week, and thought that the newness of the Elixirs (take about 3 weeks to properly break in) was the culprit.....but then picked up the guitar this morning, and voila!!! It was back to it's good sounding self......strange??? Have any of you had this happen???? Is it my ears? Air pressure? Humidity???? Strange...

Could be a lot of things. I play with just fingers and sometimes my hands may be wetter or drier than usual and that affects the tone. I think sometimes mine doesn't like being played when it's cold. Sometimes when I'm not totally in the mood to play, it doesn't sound right. Lots of reasons for that.

Last night I picked up one of my guitars' date=' and started playing, and it sounded like crap.....(OR I sounded like crap) but I degress.....I had just changed the strings to Elixir's last week, and thought that the newness of the Elixirs (take about 3 weeks to properly break in) was the culprit.....but then picked up the guitar this morning, and voila!!! It was back to it's good sounding self......strange??? Have any of you had this happen???? Is it my ears? Air pressure? Humidity???? Strange...[/quote']

Yes !!!!

I thought it was just me ..

One of the many reasons I justify having multiple guitars.Some times the "Go To" isn't cutting it and I pick up another that I haven't played in a while and it just sings.

So yes I agree, and I can't explain it because they are all humidified the same way always in their cases with an oasis.

I always give the guitar some time to open up, so the judgement call on sound isn't made immediately.

Go figure?=D>

Sounds weird to me. But, it does take strings a little while to settle in. Steels, not so much, nylons seem to take for ever to settle in. i.e. stop stretchin' so much you have to re-tune each and every time you pick her up and sometimes before you put her down.

More evidence guit tars are like women. They gripe because they want you to buy them jewelry, you buy them jewelry and they still gripe until they decide they like the jewelry..... A man's life in a nut shell.

As a matter of fact I have - with electric guitars - one time after having a great sound the night before in the same club with the same equipment could get absolutely no tone what's so ever. Marshall amp........I find them to be very inconsistant. Great one night awful the next. (No alcahol, smoke, or chemicals involved) One other time, it turned out to be the fact that my signal was running thru a rack mount Sabine tuner. Once I took the tuner out of the loop my sound came back. My Fender tuner has no ill effects on my sound. Now I know that I have stirred a rat's nest by blaming a Marshall amp, but I've never had the problem since getting rid of it. It was a DSL 50 tube head powering a 4x12 Marshall halfstack that I'd bought new a few weeks before. No more Marshalls for me.

Archived