Gibson Brands Forums

What finish is this Les Paul..?!

bullet22

Holy great crap! A Tobacco Burst (Not Vintage, Standards are Tobacco) Thats great, those pics dont show flame...does it have flame? It looks like the one from November rain video! I could live with a Tobacco like that!! Yours is very unqiue Bullet, very.

Your 05 Classic should have a resale value almost equal to that 03 Standard. There is not that huge of a price difference between the Classic and Standard new, and yours is 2 years newer than the one they have. Rest assured they did not promise the owner the price they are selling it for. Consignement sales run typically at 20-30% profit. That means if they give you $1000 for your guitar they plan on selling it at $1200-1300, and to allow for haggling and other problems most shops will try to ensure they can get 50% markup. So what he is doing is offering you the discounted value for your guitar and asking you to pay 'his retail price' for the Standard. He should give you a straight trade, possibly even give you some cash too. If you really like the guitar, offer him your Classic and 100 pounds, if he says no, then walk away. But by no means is it worth the two guitars.

The price of guitars in the UK will have nothing to do with this either. Like a car, a guitar will depreciate as soon as you walk out the door (with a few rare exceptions). So if a 5 year old Standard, in condition 'A' has a resale value of X% below it original price, then a 5 year old Classic in the same condition will resell for X% below it's original price. There may be a slight difference due to model, some are more popular than others, but that difference should only be 5-10% unless you are comparing a top of the line model to a bottom of the line. Then age comes into play, and in your case that should cancel out some, if not all of that 'model difference' if both are in the same condition. You can bet that no matter how you go about it, if you trade your Classic to them, and go back in a week or so, I bet your ex-Classic will have an equal or higher price tag on it.

Holy great crap! A Tobacco Burst (Not Vintage' date=' Standards are Tobacco) Thats great, those pics dont show flame...does it have flame? It looks like the one from November rain video! I could live with a Tobacco like that!! Yours is very unqiue Bullet, very.[/quote']

It's defo a Vintage Sunburst. Neck PUP cavity has VS (where my Cherry Classic had CH), and the Bridge PUP cavity has "LPS+" or "LP5+"

Retailers list them as Tobacco Burst (most do) Could you get some higher quality shots? Does it have flame?

I saw 2 Heritage Cherry's today, they had NO flame? WTF? Their ment to be AA, so where was the flame top on them lol, The Desert Burst I played was flamed up madly. They also had a Ebony one, very nice, better then I thought they were.

Retailers list them as Tobacco Burst (most do) Could you get some higher quality shots? Does it have flame?

I don't really know what you mean by 'flame' - this is my first sunburst. Do you mean the stripe effect in the grain? If so - Yeah, I think so. I'm posting remotely right now but will add some better shots soon!

I don't really know what you mean by 'flame' - this is my first sunburst. Do you mean the stripe effect in the grain? If so - Yeah' date=' I think so. I'm posting remotely right now but will add some better shots soon![/quote']

Yeah, looks like a fire flame through the wood.

Yeah' date=' looks like a fire flame through the wood.[/quote']

Do these help..?

Took them mid re-string, but I think the pics show off the grain well.

I'm really starting to think this was a good purchase.

I've never seen a white case interior before now though....!

6a00e398cde5cd000100f48cedc6dd0003-500pi

6a00e398cde5cd000100f48cedc6d40003-500pi

You'd be an idiot if you DIDNT buy it when you saw it. That flame is bang on perfect. I hope mine looks like that.

Thanks mate. I'll get her strung up and post some pics on the LP PICS thread.

I really hope you get what you want - thanks for your complements too!

Ryan

BEAUTIFUL! Like that 50's neck Bullet?

I love the neck. Had my LP Studio for 13yrs - bought it when I was 18, had no idea about different neck profiles. It was more 50's, so it's just what I'm used to.

Only had my LP Classic for a few weeks, but never got used to the slimmer neck. I don't solo much. Check out the 2 tunes on my site via my sig.

I love the neck. Had my LP Studio for 13yrs - bought it when I was 18' date=' had no idea about different neck profiles. It was more 50's, so it's just what I'm used to.

Only had my LP Classic for a few weeks, but never got used to the slimmer neck. I don't solo much. Check out the 2 tunes on my site via my sig. [/quote']

That's the same experience I had. My first Les Pauls were Studios. I loved the neck.

I can usually get along with most neck profiles, but Gibson's 60s slim taper just doesn't agree with me. I've never bought a Classic because of it.

I bought a lovely Standard in 05, awesome flametop Honeyburst. After six months it was gone. 60s neck profile...

It's defo a Vintage Sunburst. Neck PUP cavity has VS (where my Cherry Classic had CH)' date=' and the Bridge PUP cavity has "LPS+" or "LP5+"[/quote']

I'm only guessing here...LPS+ Les Paul Standard with a plus top. If it's a 5, than it stands for alnico 5.

I'm only guessing here...LPS+ Les Paul Standard with a plus top. If it's a 5' date=' than it stands for alnico 5.[/quote']

It's actually LP5+

Checked with Gibson Europe.

LP = Les Paul

5 = 50's neck

'+' just denotes the next stage in production was undecided (finish, usually.)

It's a shame 'cos it woulda been nice to accidently get a LP with a plus top.

Ryan

Archived