Gibson Brands Forums

Changing Gibson J-45 Pickguard advice

pig140

Just curious about changing the pickguard. I have a 2003 J-45 coming' date=' which has the small pickguard. I LOVE the look of the 50's pickguard. Would it hurt the value or resale if I change it to a Gibson 50's style pickguard?[/quote']

Hey.

I bought a new J-45 earlier this year. I did exactly what you are planning (installed a 50's style batwing pickguard). I never hesitated and I haven't regretted it one bit. In fact, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I say go for it. Like jannusguy said, it's your guitar, so enjoy how it you wish. Heck, it might even be a plus if you ever decide to sell it. Who knows. But put your stamp on it :-)

By the way, I put a black pickguard on mine. It is gloss and 0.090" thick, ordered from Terrapin. I bet John still has the template, should you decide to order from him. I sent him a Gibson batwing to generate the template. I can show you a picture of my J-45 if you'd like.

Not trying to pimp, but I have a 50's style batwing pickguard I got from Gibson. It is the standard red tortoise from Gibson, but in the batwing configuration. PM me if interested.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the guitar. They are simply fantastic.

Not trying to pimp' date=' but I have a 50's style batwing pickguard I got from Gibson. It is the standard red tortoise from Gibson, but in the batwing configuration.

[/quote']

Isn't the "batwing" pickguard the one that is on the square-shoulder body-style? Like the Sheryl Crow model. The larger pickguard that you're referring to is the standard '50's guard.

Not trying to pimp' date=' but I have a 50's style batwing pickguard I got from Gibson. It is the standard red tortoise from Gibson, but in the batwing configuration. PM me if interested.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the guitar. They are simply fantastic.

[/quote']

PM sent! Can you send me pic of the Gibson pickguard and a pic of your guitar with the black pickguard?

Archived