Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio

slashadler

Hey, I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and the strings do not stay in tune very well. What can I do to fix this. When I am playing on the bridge pickup, the sound sometimes fades in and out, and sometimes it cuts out with a bunch of crackling when it does........ Any tips??

This is a common problem.

Are you sure you're stringing it correctly?

Right size strings for the current set up?

The nut is a common problem. Filing a nut is touchy business.

When you restring try graphite (like from a pencil) or nut sauce on the nut.

Hey' date=' I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and the strings do not stay in tune very well. What can I do to fix this. When I am playing on the bridge pickup, the sound sometimes fades in and out, and sometimes it cuts out with a bunch of crackling when it does........ Any tips??[/quote']

i've asked this q in the past when my bandmate was at wit's end about this problem on his es-175. i was expecting to hear that the tuners needed to be changed BUT the resounding answer was all about the nut. yes, the nut. 99% of the time the nut slots need to be filed to properly seat the string and allow free movement throught it without snagging. nut sauce lube (some type of graphite petroleum mix) can help as well but the slots need to be right. bring it to a tech to have it done right unless you are skilled in this dept.

Archived