Gibson Brands Forums

Help me date this J45

sandpiper

I am considering buying a vintage J45 that I found today. The serial number is 978734, which as far as I can tell dates it to 1969. The only problem is I also believe that is the year they changed to a square shoulder, and this one is definitely a round shoulder, and looks like an early 60's to me.

dark sunburst

bigger SJ type pickguard

What else should I look for in this guitar?

Thanks!

Seems like there was another round shoulder J45 that dated to 1969 discussed a couple years ago. There were some leftover round shoulders built after they went to square shoulder. No documentation, no proof, no provenance, just semi-educated guesses.

Pics would help. We will drool regardless of it's lineage.

I don't put much stock in 60s serial numbers or what year they change the body style. Sounds like you have a late 60s J45. They went to the darker sunburst as found on the 50s guitar, actually a bit darker with a the larger thick pickguard. Some of these guitars had a Gibson logo painted on the guard, but not all. It may have a reverse belly bridge with adjustable saddle ( typical Gibson bridge) or a reverse belly bridge that is actually reversed. There is one on ebay now that fits this description. Look for loose braces, cracks typical stuff, loose lifting bridge.

Terry

Seems like there was another round shoulder J45 that dated to 1969 discussed a couple years ago. There were some leftover round shoulders built after they went to square shoulder. No documentation' date=' no proof, no provenance, just semi-educated guesses.

Pics would help. We will drool regardless of it's lineage.[/quote']

Agree...we explored this one. There were both round shouldered and square shouldered J-45s circa 1969.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Just to muddy up the water some more, A.R Duchossoir's book "Guitar Identification, How To Date The Guitars Made By Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Martin" lists #972864 as the last serial number used in 1968, and the 900000 series not reappearing until 1970, 71, 72. It lists duplicate numbers in the 500K, 600K, 700K, and 800K range for 1969.

This book, first published in 1983 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation, I have found to be very accurate.

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I just inherited a J45 from my grandfather and I'm trying to date it. The serial # is 2-3441-7. I can't seem to find any corresponding serial numbers in the resources I've found. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Found the FON. It's a '52.

Cool, it will still have the scalloped bracing than. These are some of my favorite Gibson dreads. So, what condition is it in, how does it sound, and where are the pics?. You can't not post pictures, ya know. We want to hear all the details. The 40's early 50's J-45's are fine guitars.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Stay around a bit, this is a good place with lots of good people.

Cool' date=' it will still have the scalloped bracing than. These are some of my favorite Gibson dreads. So, what condition is it in, how does it sound, and where are the pics?. You can't not post pictures, ya know. We want to hear all the details. The 40's early 50's J-45's are fine guitars.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Stay around a bit, this is a good place with lots of good people. [/quote']

It sounds great. It suffered a catastrophic fall in the late '70s and sat unrepaired until the early '90s. I learned to play on it around that time. I'll get some pics tonight and post 'em tomorrow.

Archived