Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Tone?

Folkestone

Hi Everyone:

I'm looking for a bit of insight on the tone of a Gibson AJ. I''ve heard wonderful things about them. I'm considering purchasing a recent model.

I've owned a J45 before, but found it too dry (woody I'm told). Obviously, the AJ is rosewood. Will it, however, bear that dry similarity to the J45? I'm looking for some overtones and want something with sloped-shoulder to really distinguish itseld from my rosewood dread, a Guild D55.

I play mostly country, blues and rock.

Your input would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

The AJ is "very" different from a J-45. I has sustain for eternity.

I think the AJ is one of Gibson's finest guitars.

I also think the D-55, is one of Guilds finest.

You should play one, before buying!! GC usually has one hanging on the wall.

If you didn't already have a D-55, I would say buy the AJ, sight unseen! but..........

Overtones.... did someone say overtones?????

Sorry but my ears are still ringing from all the overtones I hear from my AJ everytime I play it.

For Country, Blues and Rock... An AJ will be a fine choice. Yes, as has been stated, it has the typical Gibson midrange, but not in as dry a way as a J45. I find my AJ to be a completly different guitar than the J45's I have played. Much more of a ringing sustain, the above mentioned overtones and certainly a bass response that you can feel deep in your chest when you dig into the strings.

Archived