Gibson Brands Forums

Making a guitar

xX-soul-Xx

2 questions

1. Would it be possible to buy a normal body, neck, etc, then les paul pickups, tone knobs, and what you would normally find on a les paul, but with a tremolo bar (probably a floyd rose), and make the guitar? would there be any problems with that? (the body would not be a les paul body, just whatever could be found)

2. Would the guitar sound amazingly different from a les paul? if so, then why?

basically what I want to accomplish by this is to make something close to a les paul with a tremolo bar (I wouldn't be doing this anytime soon, I need the money and the tools which I do not have right now lol)

There are many low cost guitars available with a trem and humbucking pickups - you don't need to make one. Of course, there are many cheap guitars S/H that would make good humbucker conversion projects. They will not sound like a Les Paul due to different scale length / body routing and woods used.

The floating trem of the Floyd also robs a lot of tone unless it is blocked off.

soul[Xx]well i want it to sound similar but not exactly like a les paul' date=' is it possible to do that? (and what do you mean by the floyd being blocked off?)[/quote']

I've learned from experience, that the Luthiers Corner under Custom Shop in the My Les Paul Forums is the best for build questions.

By blocked, I mean fitting a piece of wood so that the trem is no longer floating. It comes to rest against the block (the springs can be adjusted to make sure it rests firmly). The trem can still be used but only to detune.

There were Floyds that could be locked into position, so that during string bending the trem would not tip forward. Sustain was better also.

I used to have a Strat copy with a mahogany body. I fitted a Dimarzio at the bridge and it sounded great - but it was a different sound to a Les Paul. I had the trem set to rest against the body.

The easiest way is to buy a 'superstrat' type guitar with HB / S / HB pickups. I'd go for Yamaha or Ibanez - loads of choice and not too pricey. You can modify the wiring to give further tones. Bear in mind the amp plays a big part in shaping the sound.

A graphic equaliser pedal would be useful.

Les Paul - Mahogany body with maple cap, set mahogany neck, 24 3/4 scale, professional finish. Made by people who do it for a living

Home made guitar- Wood of your choice, bolt on neck, more than likely a 25 1/2 scale, finish? Trial and error construction.

Strip away the binding, the stain, the flame, and the coats of unnecessary lacquer, and you have a guitar that will sound just as good - without the price tag. Remember, beauty is only skin deep... But not only do people 'hear with their eyes' (as Les Paul himself said), people also 'buy with their eyes'. It's a well documented marketing process.

As far as home build goes, there are some skilfully put together instruments out there - not built with time constraints or accountants peering over their shoulders...

Here's a few 'trial and error' constructions.

http://buildyourguitar.com/guitars/yourguit/page10.htm

Strip away the binding' date=' the stain, the flame, and the coats of unnecessary lacquer, and you have a guitar that will sound just as good - without the price tag. Remember, beauty is only skin deep... But not only do people 'hear with their eyes' (as Les Paul himself said), people also 'buy with their eyes'. It's a well documented marketing process - and a lot fall for it.

As far as home build goes, there are some skilfully put together instruments out there - not built with time constraints or accountants peering over their shoulders...

Here's a few 'trial and error' constructions.

http://buildyourguitar.com/guitars/yourguit/page10.htm

[/quote']

[cool]O:)

Archived