Gibson Brands Forums

Current production les paul customs ... the '00 years !

Belva

Hi guys

I know this topic could sound noobish, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma

I have the opportunity to buy a 1980 les paul custom from the internet. However, I tried some 2008-2006-2003 les pauls and they sound very good. Current production however doesn't give me the thrills detail-wise (had an historic, now THAT was a well made instrument, sold for the chunky unplayable neck though)

I can buy the 1980 at the same price of a modern one.

I heard some bad stories about norlin era guitars, though a 1980 shouldn't have ANY of the norlin era manufacturing gimmicks (right?).

Would you try and get the 80s les paul ... or you wouldn't bother aobut it and stick with modern les paul customs?

I know the best would be "try both" but I can't try the 1980 lp ... so I just need your advice as you guys know your stuff and there are a lot of vintage les pauls owners here who know the details of each "era".

Do let me know!

Take care, as usual, guys!

I have a 1980 LPC and there are some features I didn't like about it, so I had them modified to suit my playing style.

Frets:

If you like low wide frets you'll like the 1980 LPC. When I purchased mine (I was 16 at the time) I purchased it based solely on its looks and the representation, and didn't even try it out. I just asked the GC Sales Person to pull it off the wall. I paid for it and took it home and to find later I didn't like the feel of the fret-board. It Basically sat in a case in storage for 20-some years before I decided to change the frets and have the finger-board scalloped..... Now I dig the way it plays.

Neck:

Nice and thin, if that's what you like.

Pick-ups:

Mine came with T-Shaw pups, though they are not the highest in output, they do produce a very nice rounded tone, especially the neck pup when playing clean.

Weight & Construction:

The instrument is built like a tank, and weighs as much too. It would take a pretty catastrophic event to make it unplayable. Mine weighs almost 13 lbs.

Grounding:

It appears Gibson went to some great lengths to shield the guitar. Mine has shielding cups in the pick-up switch selector, and volume pot cavities. It's very quite when plugged.

Appearance:

I like the Norlin headstock shape and size, I also like the wider cutaway area on the body.

As for the new LPC's, I've played a few, and they are lighter in weight, and I certainly like the fret type they install on them now. I immediately was comfortable with the fingerboard. However I'm not too keen with the pups... IMO they are a bit muddy for my liking, but those can always be changed.

Seems like a great deal for a guitar that cost around $550 new. [biggrin]

The Norlin era ended in 1986' date=' I believe.

Which historic did you own/sell? If you like the quality that came with your historic, why don't you buy an R0 or G0?[/quote']

they didn't cost $550 new, at least not in 1981..... They ranged from $900 to $1100, well at least in Hollywood CA they did.

The 1980 Custom is very different to recent production in many ways. They are heavier as there is no weight relief of course. The feel is of a very substantial guitar - and it's not just a perception, they really are a stronger instrument by comparison with later ones. The neck is 3 piece maple with ebony banding between the pieces making them stable and strong. The maple neck gives a brighter sound than the mahogany neck - these Customs have a great clean sound yet retain definition with high gain.

As duane points out, these were fitted with low, wide frets (or rather, they were subjected to Gibson's enthusiastic fret dressing). With a guitar of this age, have they been replaced ? and if so was it refretted over the binding ? Another difference is the carve of the top. These are less pronounced than a true 'historic' carve, having a gentle sweep to the edges of the body. I prefer this myself, but it might be an issue for some.

I would favour the 1980 Custom for the superior construction - I would never buy a Gibson with a one piece neck. But without checking the guitar over first, it has some risk attached - like any guitar almost 30 years old.

Thx for the replies!

I sold a reissue lpb7 guitar. Great quality, plagued by terribly chunky neck. I like em slim.

I didn't know 80s les pauls had 3 pieces necks.. I dunno about that. I always played 1 piece neck.. I know it makes em sturdier, yet I don't know how much it affects tone.. and from the pictures I thought the headstock was the "normal" size headstock, not the large type.

The guitar hasn't be fretted so I believe she has the wide frets, like the lpb7 i guess.

One thing thogh is I see nobody talked about current production les pauls. the ones made from 2000 to 2009... are them as good as the ones made

in the 90s / 80s ? Some people say 2000s les pauls reached another peak, some people say 90s les paul are "darker,more made for distortion and heavy" while 2000s more towards "clean sounds", others say 2000s are extremely low quality.

I'm talking quality wise and soundwise. I live in a pretty isolated place so i'll have to know what i look for before starting my "trips" to try stuff at least. So I need your info.. keep it up! thx!

Belva Dude. Ya got the Dough==Get an RO.

It's Got the Slimmer 60 Neck. Soild body Construction

Long Tenon.

Most newer one's are lighter-hollowed out with a Short Tenon.

Those are O.K. but their is no comparing Soild Constructed Long tenon

built Gibson to one Without those Features.

Whats the Problem making up your Mind. You Said you had a R9 or R8

and you played other newer ones.

You Should of noticed the Quality in Sound?:-s

Well, I need the ebony guitar , les paul custom in black with ebony fingerboard. R0 is nothing like that.Thx anyway.

Wanna know something: current production les paul custom actually had more sparkles than my historic. I was talking about manufacturing actually.

Thx for the replies!

I sold a reissue lpb7 guitar. Great quality' date=' plagued by terribly chunky neck. I like em slim.

I didn't know 80s les pauls had 3 pieces necks.. I dunno about that. I always played 1 piece neck.. I know it makes em sturdier, yet I don't know how much it affects tone.. and from the pictures I thought the headstock was the "normal" size headstock, not the large type.

The guitar hasn't be fretted so I believe she has the wide frets, like the lpb7 i guess.

One thing thogh is I see nobody talked about current production les pauls. the ones made from 2000 to 2009... are them as good as the ones made

in the 90s / 80s ? Some people say 2000s les pauls reached another peak, some people say 90s les paul are "darker,more made for distortion and heavy" while 2000s more towards "clean sounds", others say 2000s are extremely low quality.

I'm talking quality wise and soundwise. I live in a pretty isolated place so i'll have to know what i look for before starting my "trips" to try stuff at least. So I need your info.. keep it up! thx!

[/quote']

My pal has a 2007 LPC and it's a fantastic guitar. Certainly it's always a good idea to play the guitar for about one hour before buying it...... Especially a $2800 guitar.

Well' date=' I need the ebony guitar , les paul custom in black with ebony fingerboard. R0 is nothing like that.Thx anyway.

Wanna know something: current production les paul custom actually had more sparkles than my historic. I was talking about manufacturing actually.[/quote']

Look into the Agile Guitars you might find what you Want.

They got Thinner necks with Ebony Boards and Like in my

Avatar--- Neck-Throughs and you can order up just about

Anything. Even your name Inlayed on the Headstock

Archived