Gibson Brands Forums

Question about selling guitars

maninblack

I have 4 instruments listed on ebay right now. I must have priced them right because I'm getting an overwhelming volume of messages from interested buyers. The Dwight Yoakam Y2K seems to garnering the most interest. Due to its rarity I had no clue where to start it. I have had 4 requests to end the auction early by adding a buy it now option well above what I started it out at. One guy in Germany has basically told me to name my price.

First of all, is there any ebay policy violation to add a buy it now after the original listing?

Secondly, I specifically said US bidders only in my listing. I did this only because I see this prohibition so frequently in guitar auctions. I don't know the actual reasoning behind it. I realize overseas shipping is pricey and probably a hassle, but this german guy says he will cover all the costs and do so through paypal before it ships. It seems like he has a lot more risk than I do. What are the pitfalls here? What am I missing?

I have been a chronic buyer, never a seller. I am hoping some of the more experienced ebayers can guide me. I don't want to make a rookie mistake.

I too always list my sales as being to USA only as I don't have the experience with international shipping and customs issues etc. and I don't want the hassle. I can get enough money from what I sell by selling in the US only.

I did, in the past, sell to Germany, England, even sent a banjo to Uzbekistan.

The easiest way to do it is ask the buyer if he has any friends in the US - tell him you will ship to his friend and let him and his friend do the rest. That worked for me when I had a big problem trying to get a guitar to England.

I've always sold internationally. Never had a problem that I can recall. Maybe I'm lucky or foolish.

I've had people email me and ask to stop an auction early and I politely say no.

If you have no bids on an auction, you can go in and edit it; I believe you can add a buy it now.

I shipped to Canada once' date=' but that required some extra paperwork with FedX. The buyer asked me to declare it was a gift, to avoid onerous Value Add Tax (I think that is what it was called) but I declined. Other than that it was hassle free. [/quote']

even if it's marked as gift you still have to pay all the fees on the receiver's side....

Sorry to see you selling off such nice guitars. Been there done that. I think when I sell some I will never have another one especially the vintage guitars.

I always liked the Y2K. I owned a 63 Everyly Brothers in black that I had to sell years ago. One guitar I couldn't get was a beat 63 Everly with the natural top, just a wonderfully playing and sounding guitar. The Y2K reminds me of that one.

Your Nick Lucas Elite looks great too. That one will be hard to replace once gone!

Good luck with the sales.

Terry

Hey Terry, man, you are giving me second thoughts. Stop it! It took a lot of internal negotiations to convince myself to go through with this.

Believe me, if the Nick doesn't sell I won't be heartbroken. The tone on that one is truly unique.

I'm actually looking to sell off about 5 to 7 total. A sublime '49 LG-2 with a clubby neck and a booming, standard AJ are likely going to appear in the next round. The first priority is making room for my forthcoming (human) baby. The second is to raise funds to pick up 2 or 3 more really nice guitars that I've coveted. (A j-45 legends, a D-28GE and a Cocobolo/Adi AJ) I'm looking to thin the pack but also refine it a bit. I'm trying to stockpile my dream guitars prior to the arrival of baby 2. Who knows...my habit might get sidelined for about 18 years.

My son's desires I can sometimes sacrifice in the pursuit of my guitars. I'm not sure I'll be able to refuse my daughter anything.

I believe you know what you are doing better than I would. I sold a lot of guitars through the years as sort of a second income to support my family and I don't regret it. My family has grown up and my guitar family has swelled to the point I am selling off several of mine.

There was a J45 Legend on ebay for several weeks with an opening bid of $3500 then $3400 and think it even was listed at $3000 and didn't sell. I could not believe it. Even though my interest is in vintage Gibsons my impression of these from all I have heard is they are a tremendous guitar. I thought that $3500 was a steal for that guitar.

I dream of consolidating my collection. I am talking with a dealer about a Gibson arch top. I think each one I buy will satisfy my lust!

Another sales route to consider is advertising on the UMGF. There was a recent thread in the guitar critic corner on a Nick Lucas elite that was on ebay. I don't know if the poster was looking to buy. You can also post your guitars for sale there. I have sold and bought a lot of guitars on ebay. I got a gbase.com site about a year ago. For $35 a month you can list up to 20 some guitars. I have sold several guitars off my gbase site. No other selling fees etc. I know ebay can eat into money on a guitar sale. I had my friends 1999 standard maple Nick Lucas listed for $1400 and I have gotten more interest in that guitar than anything else. You can join for a month or keep it going. Check it out. Much easier to list there than on ebay.

I like your taste in guitars.

Good luck again, Terry

I thought you had to be a dealer too. Very cool to know, though I doubt I'll do much more selling after this next round.

I also think we were watching the same j-45 legends on the bay. It looks like it finally sold for $4200. If anybody else has one they are thinking of letting go, let me know.

Archived