Gibson Brands Forums

How to strip a guitar neck

Silenced Fred

yea' date=' i could but if there is a problem, it is super expensive to have it fixed or to ship back. see my location, there are no luthiers around here[/quote']

But I mean, if it works, then get it and learn to do the work yourself [biggrin]

It is possible... or just plan a trip somewhere and come back with a present

But I mean' date=' if it works, then get it and learn to do the work yourself [biggrin']

It is possible... or just plan a trip somewhere and come back with a present

Yea maybe.....

But the thought of a Lucille, with new electronics and bigsby is like....wow

It'd be amazing and the most fun project

Fred...

Sheesh, I could learn to hate you <grin> given the price tags you're talking about.

Out here you can't get any used semi for that kinda price tag. Six months ago on a pawn shop excursion they had a brown Dot Studio used for $350, no case, when MF was selling 'em for $199. Others pretty much ditto.

#$%@#%@#%

Argh.

But you also can't find a new Gibson, either.

I don't know if it's largely the mail order thing, but I think so.

E.g., Been thinking about stocking up on strings for the winter; went to the one store less than 60 miles from here and Ernie Balls were $11. List, I think is $8.50. The guitars there are kinda ditto in terms of price. Then they wonder why the mail order joints get the biz - and I'm usually big on the "buy local where you get service."

m

Fred...

Sheesh' date=' I could learn to hate you <grin> given the price tags you're talking about.

Out here you can't get any used semi for that kinda price tag. Six months ago on a pawn shop excursion they had a brown Dot Studio used for $350, no case, when MF was selling 'em for $199. Others pretty much ditto.

#$%@#%@#%

Argh.

But you also can't find a new Gibson, either.

I don't know if it's largely the mail order thing, but I think so.

E.g., Been thinking about stocking up on strings for the winter; went to the one store less than 60 miles from here and Ernie Balls were $11. List, I think is $8.50. The guitars there are kinda ditto in terms of price. Then they wonder why the mail order joints get the biz - and I'm usually big on the "buy local where you get service."

m

[/quote']

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! 11 bucks for strings? Everywhere by me has Ernie Balls for $5 and I just got 12 sets of Dunlop strings for 25.....

It is all on craigslist so I can't be completely sure about the condition, but over 50% off of selling price with case? Can't be beat, but I don't have the funds right now [cool]

I have never had any luck at pawn shops, all either no name pieces of junk, or decent guitars selling for double

Fred...

Yeah, $11 for strings. I walked in the door and looked at the case while the owner was teaching a private lesson, saw the big "index card" price of $11 above the pink card Ernies, turned around and walked out without saying "Hi," which I usually do anywhere. I'll wait until after Christmas and get some strings mail order.

<sigh>

It's kinda sad when you figure that there are folks who don't know the manufacturer's suggested retail.

I've had mixed luck in pawn shops. Sometimes you can do well, sometimes not. Usually with "guitars," if the brand isn't one of the top two, it's a bit easier to get a decent price tag. But you'd darned well best know general price tags before you start dickering, and be willing not to buy.

I think their assumption usually is that people figure pawn shops are automatic bargains and will buy regardless. That $350 used Epi dot studio is a perfect example. Unfortunately for folks like us, pawnbrokers tend to be right enough of the time. But then, that's what they're in business for...

Back in the '60s it was worse. Honestly, you can't believe how bad some of the "Asian" imports were that would be sold through pawn shops and similar places. I swear some of the wood wasn't of sufficient quality to make packing crates.

m

sigh.... I would like to promote local business, but alas, the only small shop near me has a d¡ck for an owner, guy is a jerk to everyone around. But it is when you see stuff like that, for stuff selling ABOVE list, it is just r¡d¡culous.

I just gotta save up for my ES-335 [cool] and possibly a Sheraton II

Archived