Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville/Memphis Custom Shop and my Figured Top ES-339

rocketman

So I'm in a local music store, Generations Music, and started talking to the manager/owner about Gibson guitars. This guy seems to really know his stuff and even talked about how he's a certified expert, which is something he has to earn from Gibson. His store has a really neat collection of custom Gibson guitars (I was drooling!). I told him about my Gibson guitars and I especially mentioned my ES-339 Figured Top. He recently sold a Figured Top one and likes them too. So he starts telling about his recent trip to Nashville and how my guitar was built there. I said "no, it was actually built at the Memphis Custom Shop." He told me that I was wrong! Huh??? He said that all 339's are built Memphis EXCEPT the Figured Top 339, which is built in Nashville!

Still I was skeptical. So I just called the HOG in Rochester where I bought the guitar. They are probably the premier Gibson experts of the NE. They did indeed verify that most 339's are built in Memphis, but that the Figured Top one is built in Nashville. I don't want to start the whole Nashville/Memphis Custom Shop feud again. Honestly I could care less where it was built because I love it either way. But, can anyone else here verify that the Figured Top 339 is built in Nashville? If so, what other models are built in Nashville that most people think are built in Memphis?

Is does seem kinda odd they would have one model of a

particularly make made entirely at a different location.

It would seem cheaper just to make them all in one place

unless the figured finish is difficult to mass produce correctly.

Like you said it doesn't really matter, but its interesting

Interesting' date=' and yes I think it would matter to some extent if Nashville guitars are regarded as "better."

There's a sticker in one of the F-holes, isn't there? Does it say Memphis?[/quote']

Well what do you know. It surely does say Memphis! Wow that writing is small. Mystery solved. Thanks!! I can't believe that both stores were wrong. Hmm, maybe Are Nine should open up his own store???

Archived