Gibson Brands Forums

Model Number for my ES-330

Mike Brannon

The hand written label inside my guitar says that the model number is "ES-330-TDC." When I look thru Blue Books and such, I see models listed as "ES-330", "ES-330-T", "ES-330-TD," and similar confusion for ES-335's. Are there really different models, or are they in fact all the same?

Thanks

MB

"T" stands for thinline

"D" stands for double pickup

"C" stands for cutaway

All 335, 345, 355 guitars are TDC's. I'm not as familiar with 330's, but every one I've ever seen has been a TDC. The standard designation for 300 series thinline ES guitars is generally thought of as "TD", since the "C"utaway part is defined by the model number.

I think the "C" could designate the cherry finish. I've seen ES 335TD's listed as sunburst. Also a ES335TDW, was the walnut finish. My 330 has the ES330TDC on the label (puchased new in 67) and it is a cherry finish.

Maybe they weren't very consistent with the letter labeling.

Unfortunately, during the era when the 330s were being produced, Gibson was much better at making guitars than they were about assigning serial and model numbers.

The only thing inside of mine is "1230" in blueish ink in the F hole with the 30 a little higher than the 12 (almost like it was done with a rubber stamp).

The back of the headstock has the serial number and "Made in U.S.A." stamped into the wood.

The only other word on it is Gibson.

If there is a model number on the guitar, I've yet to find it.

I do love the guitar. (I take the Epiphone on stage so as not to put any more wear on the Gibby)

GuitarCousins3.JPG

Notes

• 3 weeks later...

The C is for Cherry; the sunburst was just called ES-330T (for single pickup) or 330-TD (for 2 pickup); N denoted natural finish (330-TDN, for example). Of course, Gibson did use the C to mean cutaway in thick body models like the 125. And, of course, they repeated serial numbers so it was hard to tella '66 from a '68 without knowing the small details to look for.

Man, they did everything possible to confuse us.

Dougg330

Archived