Gibson Brands Forums

Regarding post production electronics

cdmsatisfied

Obviously not all guitars come from the factory with electronics. My question is: What's the down side of having them installed verse them coming electrified from the factory? Say in the case of Hummingbirds' date=' or Jumbos?[/quote']

Factory electrified guitars can be quite painful to play.

For me, the "downside" falls to the factory installed electronics: what's installed is at their option, not yours. If you're thrilled with the factory selected electronics on a particular guitar that otherwise meets your expectations, you win. If you do your homework on what's available and decide for yourself what to install, you have many more options. Personally, I would never choose a guitar based on what kind of electronics might be factory equipment. Perhaps I miss the point of your question, but I see no downside to aftermarket electronics installed in the guitar of your choice.

I agree with Buc 100%. I like to have the choice of what electronic I put into my acoustic. I can't stand that lump of plastic that occupies a big square hole in the treble bout of a guitar. I'd like to have whatever is installed be able to be removed and/or changed with no noticeable signs it was ever there.

I personally would rather have the electronics already installed because I think the soundhole pickups are annoying and have a 10' hanging out of the guitar. Of course you can have electronics installed, but the cost of installing them would of made up the difference between buying an acoustic and an electric/acoustic.

I've got a 2007 CJ165 Rosewood with something or other for a pickup. It has a hidden little volume control at the edge of the sound hole. I've plugged it in, and it sounds wonderful, but I'm not one to plug in an acoustic to begin with... I'll use a regular electric for that; east is east, west is west, and Shania Twain I'd like to meet.

Sometimes I'd like to take the pickup and TUSQ saddle out and replace it with bone, just to get the best tone out of it, I just haven't made it a priority. I'm really shying away from altering guitars anymore unless something is just plain wrong, i.e. nut spacing, monkeyed up frets, etc.

Archived