Gibson Brands Forums

Is the "new" studio faded worn cherry, the same guitar as the VM from 2008 and earlier??

dapamjan

I am about to buy a new Studio faded worn cherry, and I am really wondering if it is the same exact guitar as the Vintage Mahogany models from the last couple of years??(BB pro p'ups, mahogany neck and body, rosewood fb) the only difference seems to be is that it comes with a gig bag instead of a nice Gibson case that it did a year ago. The faded chery and brown also are the only studios that come with BB pros. All the other Studios come with the 490 t and r's. For 700 dollars,, I want this freekin' hunk of mahogany....seems like a better guitar than all of the other studios...

I think the faded does not have the maple top. I have noticed that Musician's Friend has lumped the Studio, which does have a maple top in with the faded worn cherry and the mahogany. It seems that Gibson is not as concerned as their loyal followers to identify what we are willing to spend our hard earned money. We work hard and save our money to buy that beloved instrument; Gibson seems to be more interested in the $$$$$ part of that equation. If Gibson would take care of the business that they do best and build quality instruments and be honest when they decide to change them(which is why you introduce new models and leave the established icons alone) wouldn't it be a much happier and musical world.

Yes, it's the "same" guitar as the VM.

The first VMs had weight-relief holes in the body, had standard pots wired on a plate, and came with a hard case.

The second VMs were identical to the first, except Gibson chambered the body instead weight-relieved it..

The latest VMs changed name to Studio Faded, are chambered, have the new style quick-connect pot wiring, and come with a gig bag instead of a hard case.

My Faded was manufactured in January of '09 and came with a hard case. When I bought mine, GC here in Seattle had 5 of them in stock. Three came with a gig bag and two of them had hard cases. The ones with the hard cases cost a bit more but I don't recall how much, $25 or 50 more I think.

Bear in mind:

As of today, Gibson US's website for the Studio Faded states that it comes with a "Gibson Deluxe Gig Bag"

Some stores may have old stock of VM's that come with hard cases instead of bags.

Some stores may "throw in" a hard case (Gibson or other brad) with a new Studio Faded for free as an incentive.

Some stores may "throw in" a hard case with a new Studio Faded for an extra charge.

Gibson US may/willhave different specs for the same guitar in Asia, Europe, Canada, etc.

For example, outside the US, Gibson has a VM (AKA Studio Faded) with P-90s.

Bear in mind:

As of today' date=' Gibson US's website for the Studio Faded states that it comes with a "Gibson Deluxe Gig Bag"

Some stores may have old stock of VM's that come with hard cases instead of bags.

Some stores may "throw in" a hard case (Gibson or other brad) with a new Studio Faded for free as an incentive.

Some stores may "throw in" a hard case with a new Studio Faded for an extra charge.

Gibson US may/willhave different specs for the same guitar in Asia, Europe, Canada, etc.

For example, outside the US, Gibson has a VM (AKA Studio Faded) with P-90s.

[/quote']

Yep, I got jacked on that deal (even though catalog and websites indicated w/case at time of purchase). Sometime around the spring they stopped shipping with cases. An incredibly cheap move by Gibson on an otherwise great guitar.

I have the older vm chambered with the bb pros however i think the new ones are coming with the 490 t's. at least according to Musicians fiend..

there is one on craigs list in connecticut' date=' hartford area for 600 with case, think its a older one...[/quote']

My April 09 has BB pros.

Archived