Gibson Brands Forums

Could this be the problem?

Andre S

In resoldering the toggle ground, I didn't put the wire through the lug, I just soldered it to the bit of solder that was on the lug already, so it isn't actually touching the lug?, same goes for one or two other connections?

Can that be it?

Yes' date=' that can be it. Always better to remove the old solder and start fresh to avoid a cold solder joint

[/quote']

Ok, and with a regular soldering set, how do I remove old solder? heat it up and wipe it off?

And how do I know if I've overheated a pot?

Ok' date=' and with a regular soldering set, how do I remove old solder? heat it up and wipe it off?

And how do I know if I've overheated a pot?[/quote']

The best way is to go to your local electronics store and get some de-soldering braid - it's a thin braided copper wire - heat the solder, touch the braid to solder and the braid will absorb the extra solder.

As for the overheated pot, in the worst case it won't work at all, best case nothing really will happen. If you didn't smell it burning, you probably didn't overheat it.

Ok' date=' and with a regular soldering set, how do I remove old solder? heat it up and wipe it off?

And how do I know if I've overheated a pot?[/quote']

I don't think this is your problem.

But all you have to do to remove the solder if you don't have a sucker is just get a thin piece of damp sponge and wipe the old solder off after heating it up. Same goes for cleaning your iron tip.

Oh you'll know. 'Cause it just won't work or will be sticky and won't turn smoothly. Like I said before - it's hard to do,but not uncommon.

Archived