Gibson Brands Forums

P90s and alnico 5s??? What's the differance?

nikko18

Video related

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

So first of all I love Phil X. He cracks me up and I watch all his reviews. I showed some of my friends one and they were like "dude! It's you from the future!" :P

Anyways I was watching this one and he keeps refering to the neck pickup as an "alnico 5" and the bridge is a P90. The neck looks like a P90 to me. What is the differance between these pickups?

They're essentially P90 neck pickups' date=' they sound like sex.[/quote']

Agreed! I love how that thing sounds on the video. I also like how it gets brighter sounding as you turn down the volume (as Phil demonstrates :P ).

The neck pickup is a single coil like a P90 but the pole pieces are individual Alnico V magnets, these are very strong and the pickup must be kept away from the strings or it will stop them from vibrating and sound sour, a P90 has a bar magnet and screws as pole pieces.

The neck pickup is a single coil like a P90 but the pole pieces are individual Alnico V magnets' date=' these are very strong and the pickup must be kept away from the strings or it will stop them from vibrating and sound sour, a P90 has a bar magnet and screws as pole pieces.[/quote']

The polepieces are individually adjustable-people make the mistake of raising the entire pup. That will cause some awful sounds...Gibson only puts A-5s on the '54 and '56 reissues & those don't come out that often. They're solid mahogany, sound amazing and the sustain is insane. I have one and it is incredible through those "Old School" amps. They're not easy to find though-my GC has an "original" for over $30,000...

Archived