Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird 1990- 10 gauge strings to 12's

rossnuk

Well, from my last post I bought the hummingbird 1990 model - it has the natural finish and comes with grover tuners.

I dont have it yet but the guy has had 10 gauge strings on it.

I am wondering - could I just go and stick on 12's on it and it would be cool or would it need a set up.

Is it worth the risk to go ahead and try - if the nut was cut for 12s originally it may be ok, right?

help appreciated - will post pictures of this when I get it.

Ross

Well' date=' from my last post I bought the hummingbird 1990 model - it has the natural finish and comes with grover tuners.

I dont have it yet but the guy has had 10 gauge strings on it.

I am wondering - could I just go and stick on 12's on it and it would be cool or would it need a set up.

Is it worth the risk to go ahead and try - if the nut was cut for 12s originally it may be ok, right?

help appreciated - will post pictures of this when I get it.

Ross[/quote']

Ross

Welcome

And go real careful here IMHO!

My 1979 J45 has had 10s on it for about 25 years and a little while ago ( largely driven by comments from fellow forumites such as 10s won't drive the table etc etc) I tried some 11s then a few weeks later some 12s.

My guitar clearly needed a professional setup to take the heavier strings

I put the 10s back!!

Take your new baby to a good luthier asap if you are intent on the 12s It ain't worth the risk for a few quid!!

Enjoy tomorrow night, take a dram for me!!

BR

John

The newer Gibbys are made for "medium" guage and 12s shouldn't be a problem.

But Johnt makes a good point. If it's had 10s on it for a number of years, putting 12s on it will move the wood and you'll need a set up. Although a set up shouldn't cost too much, you should make up your mind on what guage you want. If it's 11s or 12s, put them on, keep it in tune, give the wood a few days to move and then have a setup done.

"If it's 11s or 12s, put them on, keep it in tune, give the wood a few days to move and then have a setup done. -"

interesting - so do you think I should put the heavier gauge strings on then leave it a few days then go get the set up done -

I am now in 2 minds - it should still sound good with 10s on it right? But I always thought that heavier gauge strings will make it louder and also enhance the tone of the guitar - thats is what I want.

Any more suggestions then?

Ross

Well you sort of have a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" scenario.

My J45 is great with 10s but I am a bedroom player not so worried about projection etc.

I have a SWD 12 strung with 009s to keep tension down..... sounds great.

I have an Epi J200 clone with 11s , an RK 000 with 11s

They suit me and they suit the way I play the guitars . Which is really the point!!

If you want to acheive louder and (in fairness) the tone the HB was designed to produce then I think you have to go for the 12s. ( After all thats how they leave the factory)

All I am saying is manage the transition.

How long has the guy had the HB?

Has it always been strung with 10s?

the nut will be cut for 12s if it's the original nut but it isn't the nut that matters when the neck bows ( as mine did with 12s at concert)

You sound like you have the guitar of your dreams spend a few quid to keep it that way

I'm with Johnt on this. Go carefully.

You should definitely try 11s or 12s to see what you think. You can always take them off if you're not impressed. If you are impressed, take it in and have a pro check it out - neck bow, bridge pull, belly pull - and if it checks out okay, have him do a proper set up.

Another option is to locate a similar model (or more) already strung with 11s or 12s and play it (them) to get a feel for the increased volume, tone changes and playing changes.

I also have a j45 2004 that has 12s on it already - I reckon the hummingbird will probably sound better than the j45 even with its 10s on it.

not sure what to do - i will be using the guitar pretty much for song writing and recording - just me no other instruments involved -

however - i know whats going to happen - it will sound good with the 10s so think what it will sound like with 12s.

there's a guy down the road who knows his stuff on setting up guitars so will take it to him.

what do you reckon.

Ross

hey i am going to get 12s on it tomorrow - getting set up done.

These guitars should be built like a tank so 12s shouldn't be a problem? can someone just confirm please?

is putting light strings on it likely to make it last longer hence the lower tension on the neck? not sure if that is how it works with guitars but seems logical?

anyone?

Chances are the truss rod will need adjustment due to the increased tension of the 12s. Your tech will likely need to tighten the rod a tiny bit, probably no more than 1/8 turn and it's full effect won't be apparent for a day or two. He may opt to tighten it just a bit after the puts the new strings on and then advise you to bring it back in a couple days for a final tweak. Gibson truss rods work amazingly well but you needn't try to do it all i one shot.

Archived