Gibson Brands Forums

Gospel and Gospel AN 93-96 Reissue

motorhead1

Does anyone here know the difference between the Gospel and The Gospel AN model? My 1993 AN has a dove and the Gibson script on the headstock and I know of a 1994 non AN which has a fleur de lis with a dot below it and the Gibson name is in cursive. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone here know the difference between the Gospel and The Gospel AN model? My 1993 AN has a dove and the Gibson script on the headstock and I know of a 1994 non AN which has a fleur de lis with a dot below it and the Gibson name is in cursive. Thanks in advance.

"AN" just means it has an "antique natural" top, it's not a special type of Gospel. So your question is really about how the '93 Gospel differs from the '94 Gospel. Unfortunately, beyond the differences you noted -- that the '93 retained the original's dove of peace and modern block logo on the headstock while the '94 100th Anniversary model dropped the dove in favor of a fleur-de-lis and (like many models that year) had an old-fashioned script logo -- I have no idea what the answer is.

-- Bob R

Assuming you mean the Bozeman-made Gospels: The cosmetic stuff is the only difference. I used to have a '93 with the Dove silkscreen on it -- nice guitar! (Shoulda kept it....)

Under the hood, these guitars were all the same, with laminated arched mahogany backs and solid sides of mahogany, and solid spruce tops, 24.75" scale. Some came with the "Accuvoice" active preamp system, some didn't. Most were antique natural finished and less were sunburst.

Of course, Phoebe on "Friends" played a red-stained Gospel.

If you mean the 70's Gospels, they were somewhat different from the 90s models being as they had maple laminated backs and sides and tortoise binding and likely quite different bracing and goodness knows what scale length, but I would guess "long".

Fred

Assuming you mean the Bozeman-made Gospels: The cosmetic stuff is the only difference. I used to have a '93 with the Dove silkscreen on it -- nice guitar! (Shoulda kept it....)

Under the hood' date=' these guitars were all the same, with laminated arched mahogany backs and solid sides of mahogany, and solid spruce tops, 24.75" scale. Some came with the "Accuvoice" active preamp system, some didn't. Most were antique natural finished and less were sunburst.

Of course, Phoebe on "Friends" played a red-stained Gospel.

If you mean the 70's Gospels, they were somewhat different from the 90s models being as they had maple laminated backs and sides and tortoise binding and likely quite different bracing and goodness knows what scale length, but I would guess "long".

Fred[/quote']

Gibson Montana Gospel Reissues are 25.5" scale, not 24.75"...I just measured my '94's scale. Also, I've noticed the '94 Anniversary version's sides, back, and back of the neck are much lighter stained than the other reissue years. Or, at least the non-94's I've seen always seem to have a much darker stained back, sides, and back of the neck.

Also, the '94 Anniversary model has a Gibson 100 year anniversary label inside it rather than Gibson's normal label at the time.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Gibson Montana Gospel Reissues are 25.5" scale' date=' not 24.75"...I just measured my '94's scale. Also, I've noticed the '94 Anniversary version's sides, back, and back of the neck are much lighter stained than the other reissue years. Or, at least the non-94's I've seen always seem to have a much darker stained back, sides, and back of the neck.

Also, the '94 Anniversary model has a Gibson 100 year anniversary label inside it rather than Gibson's normal label at the time.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

Indeed, Jeff -- right you are!

My 1993 was actually the very lightly stained version, much like this one:

8464-2.jpg

Whereas I am thinking that the dark-stained "walnut" that you are talking about is like this one:

dscf0746.jpg

Fred

Indeed' date=' Jeff -- right you are!

My 1993 was actually the very lightly stained version, much like this one:

[img']http://www.guitar-museum.com/uploads/guitar/18/8464-2.jpg[/img]

Whereas I am thinking that the dark-stained "walnut" that you are talking about is like this one:

dscf0746.jpg

Fred

You hit it on the head. My '94 looks like the very lightly stained version...so apparently the lightly stained or walnut stained versions were not exclusive to any particular year.

Thanks for the enlightening reply.

All...thanks for your enlightening replies about Gospel Reissues.

I think the Gospel Reissues are great playing and sounding guitars. I've tried to set mine aside a number of times, but it keeps coming back into my playing, jamming with others, and gigging routine as a dependable workhorse.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived