Gibson Brands Forums

I'm kinda bummed...Help with flying

Nick Beach

Ok well I've got to do my audition for Berklee College of Music on the 27th of February, which is all fine and dandy but here is where my problem comes in.

I'm out on the road at the time and the tour ends on the 28th, so obviously I can't finish the tour I was originally hoping to be able to do a show on the 26th in Dayton since thats where I'm originally from but I can't cut time that close. So my last show for this tour will be the 25th in Toledo, then I'll be FLYING from there to Boston. I really hate flying just because no matter where I go I take a guitar and in this case I've got to fly with three guitars, a Mesa 4 12 Recto cab, my Mesa head, my rack, and my pedalboard. But anyone have any insight on flying with gear? I flew everything out to London once before, but my tour manager handled it I just had to give him my gear. In this case I think I'm going to leave my cab with some family in Ohio and fly the rest out.

More or less does anyone have any advice on flying with all this stuff?

I'm flying Jet Blue, if that helps any.

I need all of it for my audition well except my head but its in a head/rack road case so It's coming with me. If I fed ex it there will be no promises of getting it there on time and that the hotel will be okay with having a tone of stuff in their place until I can move it.

I would talk to someone at Berklee about shipping your gear there. I'm sure they deal with this problem often...and there's no guarantee that JetBlue won't trash your gear. Plus you won't have transport all your gear from the hotel to the audition.

You may want to see if it is possible to rent some gear. Call ahead and reserve some of the heavier items like your amp etc...

If you ship it, it may not make it in time and/or it could get damaged and not work once you get there.

You can fly it with you, but if it gets damaged it may not work once you get there.

If either of those scenarios happen you will have to beg, borrow, or steal some gear... or you could just call ahead and rent it.

What djroge1 said. Bring the guitars you want and rent the amp and cab. If your rig is stock the rental should be the same or very close, it'll probably cost less than shipping and you won't have to worry about your own stuff getting screwed up.

Archived