Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 12 string

albertjohn

Quick trip to Denmark St and spotted an SJ200 12 string on a wall. No time to play it as I had a train to catch but it looked magnificent.

1994 and they wanted over £3k for it.

Something of a rare beast perhaps?

They are somewhat rare' date=' but I saw one (also a 1994) at Avenue Guitars while in Edmonton a few weeks ago (it's been there a while):

[img']http://www.avenue-guitars.com/Used/AcousticsU/Gibson%20JC200%2012.JPG[/img]

They are asking less than £3k that you mention ($4k CAN), but I did not play it, as they have guards posted everywhere so I don't bother asking unless I am really interested in something.

Fred

Which shop was in in on Demark Street? I'll scope it out next time I'm there. I love my J185-12 string. It sounds absolutely amazing.

Hanks. The one with the acoustic room at the back. There was a couple of 1960s B25s there as well, a "prototype" J45 and a great looking Hummingbird.

If you are down there, check out that amazing 1960 ES330 in Vintage and Rare. In a glass case and priced at £7,500!

USArob3 in the Lounge recently asked about the value of his which looks almost identical. I left a post for him already.

The J185-12 is my favourite 12 string. I was fortunate enough to play a lovely cherry coloured one at the Gibson showroom in Rathbone St last year. We had a UK acoustic forum get together and Gibson kindly let us use their hall and play with some of their toys. That 12er was really fab.

I want one bad!

I wanted a sunburst when I got my J-185 12 but the distributors didn't have one available. I would love it in cherry too. Mine has the most amazing curly maple back and sides. It's so shiny, someone once asked me if it was made of metal!!

Now that 'prototype' J-45 sounds interesting. I'm going to check it out.

Archived