Gibson Brands Forums

Improvising

Andre S

Since all the stuff I wrote starts as that...

I have 4 acoustic, chord progression type songs

But I am trying to do electric now

But I can never get the opening riffs, to match the rest, it just doesn't fit...

So

How do you tell what key you start off in? and how to remain in that key?

What I used to do when I first jumped into lead playing was play vocal lines to songs. Then I would play the same vocal lines a 1/2 step up and continue climbing until I ran out of fret board.

Also hum something over the chord progression and play it....

What I used to do when I first jumped into lead playing was play vocal lines to songs. Then I would play the same vocal lines a 1/2 step up and continue climbing until I ran out of fret board.

Also hum something over the chord progression and play it....

Theres the problem, I can't get it to match

Actually one problem to this question is that it doesn't say what style of music...

There are thousands of ways to start songs regardless of style, but there are some kinda "standard" concepts that different styles will adapt.

Some actually just crank up with a "verse" with no lead-in at all.

Some will start more or less with the last line of the vocal/main melody.

Some blues will start with a turnaround.

A few bits will start with something entirely different.

Some will start with a heavy drum beat and then get inta it.

I'd say, heck, say the heck with messing with something fancy and just start "singing" the melody, whether vocally or on the guitar... Sometimes over time you may come up with a better idea. But you may not get that better idea if you just worry about it...

m

Theres the problem' date=' I can't get it to match[/quote']

Did you read that link I posted? All your answers are in there, if you need help with anything, PM me.

Check out the scale patterns on page 4 of that thread. Try them all, choose an easy one and learn it inside out. You'll want to be playing in a minor key, not major (I assume you're interested in blues/rock etc), so treat 'la' as the tonic - start and finish on that note when practicing the scales.

Archived