Gibson Brands Forums

How to identify a VOS finish

bellbottom

hello people! new user (...but long time Gibson player) here!

My main axe is a '90 Lp custom that I absolutely love, anyway I'm looking from almost a year for a new lp to add to my little guitar family.

I love P90 guitars, so would like to get a Reissue '56 (a used one), anyway I think there is a lot of confusion in the market about VOS/GLOSS finishes and pricing.

There are many VOS guitars on sale that had been treated with some kind of polish to look like a Gloss finish, and now the sellers try to sell them as a real gloss finish (more pricey than regoular vos!).

Long story short, I'm looking for a way to recognize real Gloss finishes from "polished" VOS guitars.

If I remember correctly the VOS guitars I tried on many stores, had a sort of aged Gibson logo on the headstock, with the mother of pearl almost yellow shaded.

On the regoular gloss finishes I remember the classic bright MOP Gibson logo.

Could it be a good way to identify a VOS guitar?

Thank you in advance!

PS: I need some english lesson, I know [cool]

A quick way to tell is the guitars with VOS finish ALL should have a COA. Also the VOS guitars do not have the traditional serial number like 0xxx9xxx. Depending on the model you are looking for they will have a specific serial sequence.

A quick way to tell is the guitars with VOS finish ALL should have a COA. Also the VOS guitars do not have the traditional serial number like 0xxx9xxx. Depending on the model you are looking for they will have a specific serial sequence.

At the moment I'm dealing on a 2006 R6 Les Paul, with the custom shop style serial number. the guitar comes with the classic red/yellow COA. does it mean it is a VOS finishes?

the seller claims that it is a gloss finish, but the pictures are not clear.

As far as I know Reissue guitars should exist in bot VOS and GLOSS versions, am I wrong?

If you're looking at new ones, the gloss will be $300 more.

As for telling them apart, just look at the hardware.

If it isn't shiny, it's VOS, if it is shiny, it's gloss.

Here's a good link that everybody should read.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

There are many VOS guitars on sale that had been treated with some kind of polish to look like a Gloss finish' date=' and now the sellers try to sell them as a real gloss finish (more pricey than regoular vos!).[/quote']

I don't think this matters any because once a guitar is bought, it's used. You can buff the wood all you want but most people don't shine the hardware.

VOS was introduced in 2006 and the majority, if not 99.9% of them, are VOS nowadays. Honestly, on a gold top, it doesn't even make much difference. I had an R6 VOS and used a cleaner & polish (Virtuoso) on a small section and could barely notice a difference. Maybe it was just mine, I don't now. Different story on a burst, though.

Nice guitar, hope you enjoy it (if you get it).

To tell the truth I don't care too much about the aged look, I like it in both versions. I'm trying to understand more about this because I want to get a correct pricing, and I think the seller is using the gloss story to raise the price!

thank you again, I hope I will get the gtr too [biggrin]

how much is he asking? R6s usually go used for about the same as a used R8. i wouldnt go over $2200-2300. but thats just me.

if you have the SN, call gibson...they should be able to clear this up....though i think it looks like a VOS.

All Custom Shop guitars come with a COA.

My R8 is a VOS finish LP... the serial number format/sequence is exactly the same as Gloss

models.

- Best way to tell is call Gibson with the serial number.

- The hardware will be dulled.

here is a shot of my R8 before and after. I polished off the VOS gunk.

vos-novos.jpg

As shiny as she is the hardware is dull... unlike a gloss model.

r8-wm-2a.jpg

also a buffed out VOS model still isn't as shiny as a gloss model

Archived