Gibson Brands Forums

opinions please - '68 j-45

jefleppard

First of all, the reason it says ADJ but is not adjustable is explained in the ad . . . . it has had a replacement bridge. This is a relatively common modification. The bridges on the J45-ADJ guitars were bolt on, the replacement has probably been glued on, so it may be better than the original. No way to know without checking it out in person.

Secondly it looks like it has been refinished to me at some time. I can't be 100% certain about that but it doesn't look like a Gibson sunburst to me.

It has a strap button added in a position that would drive me nuts!!!!

Hope that is of some help.

Oh I just realised there are more photos. There is a little split in the top seam. Shouldn't be a problem.

They did use those batwing pickguards on a lot of J-45's (I have one) and I really like them. It was less common to see the ones with the Gibson logo with the guitarstring logo. Some of those pickguards were screwed on (thankfully not this one!!)

This could be a very good buy. It's really hard to say without playing it or hearing it.

what can you guys tell from what you see?

Not much, except that it has a somewhat oversized replacement bridge. Generally speaking, an oversized bridge is an excellent reason to pass. (Of course, on a J-45 Adj, there's some chance the bridge was replaced in an attempt to improve the tone.) Plus, '68 was not exactly a stellar year for the J-45. Bottom line: No way I would pay that much for that guitar without the chance to check it out first.

-- Bob R

Of course' date=' on a J-45 Adj, there's some chance the bridge was replaced in an attempt to improve the tone. Plus, '68 was not exactly a stellar year for the J-45

[/quote']

J-45 Adj guitars (like most acoustics) are very variable. Mine is a 1966 and is a very nice guitar, but nowhere near the best J-45 I've played (in terms of sound). My friend has a 1965 J-45 Adj and it looks like a twin of mine, but hers sounds SO much better. In fact it's one of the finest sounding J-45's I've ever heard, and it really shouldn't be with that bolt on bridge. So you just never know. There is a lot of risk buying an acoustic guitar that you have not played or heard.

no way. i hate to see those huge bridges as replacements (and for some reason, huge is common). also, as mentioned, it's probably a refin. beyond that, most of those late 60s J45s don't sound that good. they have a lot of treble but no horsepower. i would pass. for that money you could get a newer, used J45 that will sound much better.

Archived