Gibson Brands Forums

Microphone question

Riffster

SM 57's are good multi-purpose mics.

If you want it for vocals, however, get an SM 58.

You can plug it into your Fender champ, but I'm interested to know what you will be amplifying with it. An SM 57 would be a good low budget mic to mic up your Fender Champ to play through a PA for example. In fact they are widely used for this and in combination with more expensive mics in the studio to mic up amps etc.

Please tell us what sort of things you might want to be doing with a microphone, so we can give more help.

Physically' date=' you'll need an adapter to go from XLR to 1/4", unless the amp has an XLR input, which it probably doesn't. Acoustic amps often do.

[/quote']

I think SM57's come with an XLR to 1/4" . . . at least mine did, but I have had it a long time.

Yea' date=' I knew I would need an adaptor or a cable with a 1/4" plug on one end.

I was just wondering if the mic would get damaged.[/quote']

No the mic won't get damaged, but I still wonder what you might be trying to use it for?

I am buying a SM57 to record eventually, may be backing vocals through a friends PA once in a while.

I was just wondering if I can use the SM57 to amplify my harmonica through my Fender Champ.

I am placing an order so if it can be done I would buy a 1/4" adaptor or a XLR to 1/4" cable. I just did not want to chance it an find out it could not be done.

It would be fine for playing your harmonica through your Champ.

You might be better off with an SM 58 . . . it's a better vocal microphone and would be fine for harmonica.

You could also play your harmonica through either a 57 or a 58 that is plugged into a DI straight to the PA.

A lot of harmonica players use little amps like Champs etc though.

Don't know if that helps!!

Well, mine came with a cable with a 1/4" jack plug on the lead and I've had it over 15 years and it's served me well. I haven't needed any additional accessories (other than a good mike stand). Like you I bought it at the time as a multi-purpose mic, and I have used it for vocals when making demos.

In the studios I work in they have a vast array of beautiful microphones, so I don't use my own there.

Maybe the only other thing you might consider if you were to use it for vocals would be a pop shield. I've never used one with mine, as I literally use it to mike up acoustics or percussion instruments etc when making home demos.

If you are going to buy it off ebay or somewhere like that I can tell you that there are a lot of "grey imports" out there. I know a studio that bought 12 SM 57's off an ebay seller to find that they were all wired back to front!! He had to use adaptors (which he had) to reverse the wiring.

I am getting the foam shield for it just to have it and I am going for the package that comes with a mic, cable and stand for only $10 more, I am sure they will be OK for occassional use and if not I lose $10, no big deal.

I could not find the XLR to 1/4" adapter so I may just buy an XLR to 1/4" cable. That should do it.

I think SM57's come with an XLR to 1/4" . . . at least mine did' date=' but I have had it a long time.[/quote']

The one I bought two months ago didn't - maybe the UK distributor packages them differently.

As far as being a multi-use mic - it's used on guitar amps all the time, and I've seen it on string instruments (live, not so much in the studio). Bono uses one for his vocals, I believe, though I may be wrong.

I could not find the XLR to 1/4" adapter so I may just buy an XLR to 1/4" cable. That should do it.

No it won't. You need a XLR to 1/4" (low impedence to high impedence) transformer. This is not as simple as just changing the cord. I use to get these transformers at Radio Shack for about $15. It's a barrel type adapter, with a passive coil to match the impedence of the mic to a guitar amp input.

Anyway, the choice of the 57 is a good one, it is the most versatile microphone ever made. It's still the studio standard for mic'ing guitar amps, snare drums and all kinds of other stuff, and it works great for vocals also. I actually prefer a 57 to a 58 for live vocals.

I read an article in a recording studio trade rag that asked a bunch of the top LA studio engineers what one microphone they would want if stranded on a desert island. Most of them said a Shure SM-57.

Thanks for the tip Larry, that is exactly what I was wondering, I have made minor mods to tube amps in the past and know that the inout impedance is different even on the lower input.

Edit: Here we go, this must be it. $20 ain't bad at all, the Shure equivalent sells for a lot more, like $100.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062443

Archived