Gibson Brands Forums

Amp identification

Grift

I have been having the worst time identifying my amp by model and or serial number for purposes of finding replacement parts and determining specifications. I have a G-100A model that I need a new speaker for and I have no idea when it was even made as I bought it from a friend a few years back. Any ideas for a useful database would be appreciated.[confused]

oh this is a Gibson amp by the way.

You have a Gibson G-100A model amp.

If you need a new speaker you should determine what size and how many ohms the current speaker is (if its the original). Then choose a replacement. Are you looking for original replacement part or will any compatible speaker be ok with you?

What other parts do you believe needs to be replaced?

I have been having the worst time identifying my amp by model and or serial number for purposes of finding replacement parts and determining specifications. I have a G-100A model that I need a new speaker for and I have no idea when it was even made as I bought it from a friend a few years back. Any ideas for a useful database would be appreciated.[confused]

oh this is a Gibson amp by the way.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/G100A.pdf

http://www.gibson.com/Service/Tech/Schematics/

The links that Cruzn posted will give you the replacement parts you may need except the speaker. There may be some general historical info about your amp in Aspen-Pitman's amp book but I'm not sure.

Either way the schematics will give you almost all the info you'll ever want about replacement parts.

I was looking for original replacement parts' date=' however judging from the numbers stamped on the speakers in it I am not convinced they are original either.[/quote']

What ARE the numbers stamped on the speaker (and cone). They will tell you everything you need to know about it, for replacement or repair. Short of knocking the magnet off, or out of alignment, virtually any modern speaker can be reconed to be as good, or better, than new.

Archived