Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty Fingers

moso

While we are on the subject. I have the reissued DF pups on one of my guitars. Now Gibson markets them as their hottest pickup and I agree they hold up magnificently under heavy distortion but have found they are very versatile. Beautiful clean sound and will play blues, rock, hard rock and metal. I even know of a guy who plays jazz with them. Has anybody played the 80's originals and the reissues both and can tell me what they think is different. The only famous player I know of who used original DF pups in the bridge on his Les Paul was John Sykes most notably for his work with Whitesnake around th mid 80's

i have two sonex pickups from early 80', was thinking about installing them on som beaten up LesPaul

but never have time for it. A friend of me have a ES-347 that lost it's original DF pickup's.

If i put gold cover on mine, would that be right?

it's written Sonex on bottom of the pickups.

i have two sonex pickups from early 80'' date=' was thinking about installing them on som beaten up LesPaul

but never have time for it. A friend of me have a ES-347 that lost it's original DF pickup's.

If i put gold cover on mine, would that be right?

it's written Sonex on bottom of the pickups.[/quote']

I don't know the complete answer to your question but I have read in other posts that if a pup is setup to be open coil and a cover is put on that it changes it's characteristics and requires pole adjustment to compensate for the cover. I have never done this before so someone with experience in this area would need to expand on this. Don't even know if the cover would fit properly.

I just sold an 80-'s 335-S Custom with dirty fingers in it. They are indeed very powerful pickups and quite versatile, with the split coils and all. I've never played any of the newer versions of this same pickup, but if you can get your hands the 80's ones, you WILL be happy with them.

-

• 1 month later...

Archived