Gibson Brands Forums

hard to fret

shadowster

right i have a gibson j100 and it is a dream to play no issues what so ever , when i bought it i was offered a free set up within 3 months but never had the need to take it back to shop cause i am a hundred persent happy. and fellow member jinder had a play of it in the shop that was selling it before i bought it

also i have an epiphone i have had for about 15 years and i have just noticed since i've bought the gibson that it is murder to fret, ive tried lighter strings and it made it sound like a bag of spanners and still hard to fret , the action is a bit bigger

so am off tomorrow to buy a new plastic bit that sits on the bridge and lower it down a wee bit

what do you reckon

right i have a gibson j100 and it is a dream to play no issues what so ever ' date=' when i bought it i was offered a free set up within 3 months but never had the need to take it back to shop cause i am a hundred persent happy. and fellow member jinder had a play of it in the shop that was selling it before i bought it

also i have an epiphone i have had for about 15 years and i have just noticed since i've bought the gibson that it is murder to fret, ive tried lighter strings and it made it sound like a bag of spanners and still hard to fret , the action is a bit bigger

so am off tomorrow to buy a new plastic bit that sits on the bridge and lower it down a wee bit

what do you reckon [/quote']

I just took my DIF to a luthier to "set up" the action. It played very nice before...now it's a dream! Not too expensive, but I didn't want to shave down the saddle and nut...left it to a professional.

I just took my DIF to a luthier to "set up" the action. It played very nice before...now it's a dream! Not too expensive' date=' but I didn't want to shave down the saddle and nut...left it to a professional.[/quote']

i thougt if i mad a mess of it i could put original one back on

I still have major J100 envy because of your dreamy jumbo, Shad!

I would whip that Epi in for a pro setup. If it's a bear to fret, there is every chance that the action may be high at the nut, the neck relief is out of whack and the saddle is too beefy. There could also be top bellying issues due to humidity etc that a pro would zero in on right away.

Good luck!

Each of the possibilities that Jinder mentioned could be causing the problem, or a combination of those factors.

But I would also add, have a look at the frets. How worn are they? Time for a re-fret? If it has been played a lot and the frets have worn past a certain point, it will become very hard to fret it and get any decent sound out of it.

And if you're going to buy a plastic saddle, why not go a few pennies more and get a bone saddle?

Cheers!

Rick...[cool]

Archived