Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Question

Gibson CS

Well to continue my posting frenzy...

I want my LP to have a Slash-esque look/sound and he plays Seymour Duncans I believe,

well I realize that I'm not techy enough to replace pickups, so I have 2 questions...

1. Do guitar shops replace pickups for you?

2. If not can I just remove the pickup covers?

-Rock on-

A good shop can switch the pickups.

As for you second question, the answer is yes/no.

Taking the covers off isn't so easy if you don't have a soldering iron. The covers are

soldered on the back of the pickup. You'd have to take the pickup out to get to the solder.

Plus once the cover is off you have to remove the wax.

So you may re-consider removing the covers, leave the pickups as is and get Seymour

Duncan Alnico II for neck and bridge for the Slash sound.

You may also consider getting the RS Guitarworks 500k Super pots x2 for the volumes,

and the 500k Audio pots for the tones. All long shafts.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=388

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=219

Good luck.

I know that arguments rage over this, but usual wisdom is to use 500k Audio (log) pots for Vol and 500k Linear pots for tone.

I'm aware that RS and Gibson Custom Shop do things a little differently, but I post this in case you are getting a local tech to do this from you from parts he holds in stock.

Whoa guys! We're in danger of overloading a newbie here!

Slash uses Alnico II Seymour Duncan pick-ups, yes. But, he also uses high-gain amps too (JCM-900 I think - although I'm sure the Slash fans will correct me on that...) so it could be argued that a quick pup change isn't going to give you "The Slash Sound" overnight.

There is a good tutorial on pup changes on the Gibson site - I followed it and it was easy. If you're in the UK, then PM me if you want some bargain Alnico II's about 3 wks old.

If you take your time, with some basic research and preparation, a pup change will teach you a lot about the guts of your axe, and will bring you closer to it.

I'm not even a Slash fan, and I'll correct you on the amps Bullet22 ;-)

Slash is most closely associated with the Marshall Jubilee series, released to commemorate Marshall's 25 years in business. His signature model was basically a Jubilee with a Slash logo.

I agree with what's been said here, if you want to approximate Slash's tone, get Duncan Alnico Pro IIs.

Any halfway decent store will have a tech install them for you. Should be free of charge if you bought them there.

A JCM800 (2203 for example) with some added overdrive will get you close to Slash's general tone. Even a JCM2000 will do a pretty acceptable job.

I personally find the 900 series some of Marshall's worst amps ever.

I'm not even a Slash fan, and I'll correct you on the amps Bullet22 ;-)

Slash is most closely associated with the Marshall Jubilee series, released to commemorate Marshall's 25 years in business. His signature model was basically a Jubilee with a Slash logo.

I agree with what's been said here, if you want to approximate Slash's tone, get Duncan Alnico Pro IIs.

Any halfway decent store will have a tech install them for you. Should be free of charge if you bought them there.

A JCM800 (2203 for example) with some added overdrive will get you close to Slash's general tone. Even a JCM2000 will do a pretty acceptable job.

I personally find the 900 series some of Marshall's worst amps ever.

ibis,

I've tried Audio taper for volume it's horrible. The reason to use Linear is because it's

even while you roll the potentiometer. Audio taper has some drop off usually after 2

until you hit 7, kinda like a wah wah pedal.

If you roll volume to 0, strike a chord and start rolling up to 10 you hear a progressively

loudly chord that stays smooth and doesn't drop down in volume.

Hey whatever floats your boat.

Good luck.

Archived