Gibson Brands Forums

Please forgive me Gibson community... I'm working with a strat for a project

xXxS1lv3rxXx

I don't hate them... But Gibson guitars are 20 times better.

I am working on this and going to resell it as a intoductory guitar. It is a Fender Starcaster (strat version). I have sanded the Fender logo, serial # (which was unreadable from day 1... when I got it from a friend), etc. Blank headstock.

The pickups suck, but won't be replaced- not spending money (or at least a lot) on this one, as all my money is going towards my future Epiphone Les Paul Custom... Or a new project guitar to work on [biggrin] but this time, it will be an Epiphone or Gibson (I hear Explorers can easily break in the hands of a wreckless idiot [blink]

It has a few nicks and scrapes, nothing that major. Only one place is missing paint- a small place, about 2 cm. tall, 1/2 an inch wide, 1 cm. thick. It wasn't there when I recieved this- my friend (who is 14 also) was sitting down on my floor and rolled up and kicked it over- TWICE. The second time it fell on the back of the headstock- leaving a small nick. He won't be coming in my room again [thumbup]. The first time though, It bounced off my guitar stand- thus- scratching it deeply.

I am going to paint the headstock and maybe give it some gold hardware and a new pick guard. This one if more of a cosmetic-improvement project- but it may be able to put some extra money in my pocket- I can't legally get a job that will give me actual steady income, since i'm 14.

I thought about making this one REALLY unique- and getting a Gibson neck. But since Fenders are bolt-on and Gibsons are glued, it won't easily or cheaply work. Maybe a bolt-on Epiphone will work.. Hmm.....

Suggestions? If YOU had 1 opportunity to improve a strat, what would YOU do?

SAY WHAT NOW...........oh sorry for the caps...I been drinkin..............yeah.....and I can't possibly read all that ........

but if you would like to argue bout it live........call this # 757-419-7130.........one of my .....#'s

Won't work mixing necks, different scale lengths.

24.75" for the Gibson/Epiphone, 25.5" for the Fender.

I got a couple Highway One necks from Ebay, installed Fender/Schaller locking tuners on them.

Used stock American Fender trems, jack plates.

Then I got the bodies and made my own pickguards to contain the electronics and pickups of choice.

Used all Gibson pots and selectors since they seem much more durable than the Fender stuff.

This one is a three color American body made of Alder, added Fender Wide Range humbuckers.

The WR's are from the '72 Tele Deluxe reissue, made in USA.

3375030716_7916545698.jpg

This one is an American Fender Ash body, with Fender Dove P-90's.

3375030724_0571f591bf.jpg

Both guitars worked out exceedingly well, though I confess I prefer the Ash one with P-90's.

2207672808_473666dac0.jpg

Won't work mixing necks' date=' different scale lengths.

24.75" for the Gibson/Epiphone, 25.5" for the Fender.

I got a couple Highway One necks from Ebay, installed Fender/Schaller locking tuners on them.

Used stock American Fender trems, jack plates.

Then I got the bodies and made my own pickguards to contain the electronics and pickups of choice.

Used all Gibson pots and selectors since they seem much more durable than the Fender stuff.

This one is a three color American body made of Alder, added Fender Wide Range humbuckers.

The WR's are from the '72 Tele Deluxe reissue, made in USA.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/3375030716_7916545698.jpg[/img]

This one is an American Fender Ash body, with Fender Dove P-90's.

3375030724_0571f591bf.jpg

Both guitars worked out exceedingly well, though I confess I prefer the Ash one with P-90's.

2207672808_473666dac0.jpg

That's nice. Would it matter that mine is a Starcaster and not a Stratocaster?

SAY WHAT NOW...........oh sorry for the caps...I been drinkin..............yeah.....and I can't possibly read all that ........

but if you would like to argue bout it live........call this # 757-419-7130.........one of my .....#'s

That's it , I'm not starting a Blackie fan club.....that's classic lmao

Would it matter that mine is a Starcaster and not a Stratocaster?

Well, if you start putting better American-made parts in it, you'll likely have to do mods at every step.

The bodies are shaped the same, but that's where the similarities end.

Lucky with a Strat that your electronics are suspended in the pickguard and not fitted into the body.

You've chosen a great place to learn how stuff works, and make whatever mods you want.

You can buy a blank pickguard and cut it however you want, or buy a sheet of the material and fabricate your

own pickguard to cover however much/little of the body you need to hide holes and such.

Note the guard on my 3-color Strat, above the strings it is higher on the body than normal.

That's because of the mounting screws on the wider than normal pickups.

That entire top-side curve is handmade to kinda blend in, nobody ever sees it unless I point it out.

Putting a different neck in it will be tough, that joint sees a lot of stress and will have to be right.

Otherwise, the guitar will try to curl up like a taco shell.

Archived