Gibson Brands Forums

Action too high on EC 10 Acoustic

GaryNull

I bought this EC 10 Standard on eBay for $650.

The person who sold it bought it in 2001. He said it was basically sitting

under the bed in its case most of the time.

The action is horrible. The strings are almost a quarter inch off the 12 fret.

Being the guitar was sitting so long, would adjusting the truss rod help at all?

The person who sold it never touched it.

I could also sand down the bridge a bit but not sure how much that would help

because the action needs to come down a lot.

Are some guitars just not able to have their action lowered when it's really high?

I know a good guitar guy but I don't feel like driving into Manhattan again.

Thanks

Your best bet is to take it to your guitar guy. There are just too many variables as to why the action is high. It could be as simple as a truss rod adjustment or shaving the saddle, or it could be as serious as needing a neck reset. I encourage people to do whatever setup and maintenance they're comfortable doing (and learning new stuff too), but at this stage you really should have a pro's input, if only for a good assessment.

If you really, really want to tackle it yourself, I'll be happy to walk you through an assessment, but first choice is for it to be on a pro's bench for ten minutes.

It happens, but it's like blowing the head gasket in your car. Most cars go their whole life without blowing one. Most guitars go decades before needing a neck reset. Some never need one, ever. Some practically need one a week after they leave the factory... but that number is too small to even consider.

This too, is something a pro will be able to tell you quite quickly. Prices run all over, but plan on a few hundred dollars. Don't get too concerned at this point though. Yours probably just needs a good setup.

Good advice, thanks.

I just don't have the patience to play around and experiement with a guitar setup.

I could sand off the bridge no problem, but messing with the nut is beyond me.

And according to this good article, it can be a big problem too:

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

I've had some bad experiences with some guitar setup people. But this guy I went

to last year is excellent.

I brought a cheap Yamaha acoustic and a Mexican Fender Jazz bass to him.

He said the Yamaha needed a neck reset, like you were talking about, and it's common

for cheap imported guitars and not worth doing.

He said the neck on the bass needed to be re-fretted or replaced.

He made a little adjustment by flattening some frets on it and it played much better

and he didn't charge me. But driving into Mahattan traffic is never fun, . . actually it is but

my car is kinda old (1991) and want to put the strain on it.

I'm no professional luthier but I've done my share of "adjusting the action" on many nice acoustics. It's kinda like an art to me. It can sometimes be very simple but other times it can be quite frustrating. Always, ALWAYS.. the very first step for me is to rest my guitar in a climate controlled environment for maybe a whole week (un-touched). The temperature needs to stay around 70-ish & the room's humidity should stay around 45%-ish. This is just my opinion, of course. It's just a practice that works well for me.

I agree with the others. After your guitar's woods have stabilized, let a professional take a look at it. I would still want to see a couple of the Luthier's past "set-ups" before I allowed him to touch my guitar. A proud Luthier would ablige.

Thanks, BigKahune. That is an interesting site to say the least.

Yes, I (again only in MY opinion) do leave all of my guitars out of their cases in a VERY controlled environment. If you aren't comfortable with the "open case" scenario, don't do it! I simply found that I couldn't appreciate my guitars when they're tucked away in cases. I try to spend quality time with them all daily. Again, just my opinion... and you know what they say about opinions!

Cherish that guitar. Cherish ALL guitars.

UPDATE: I thought that I should maybe explain my "controlled" environment statement. I keep all of my guitars in one music room. I try to maintain the room temp at about 70-degrees +/- year round. I also keep a quality Cool Mist humidifier with a built-in digital humidistat in that room (in an opposite corner away from the guitars). Then, just to be certain, I have a small portable humidistat mounted on the wall near my guitars for "real time" results. You'll notice in my avatar that there's a couple of guitars hanging on the wall behind me ;-)

Again, only do what YOU feel comfortable with. I'm just sharing.

Archived