Gibson Brands Forums

2 good deals for vintage SG Standard with lrye Maestro

daveinspain

Since people have been talking about these lately there are a couple for sale on E-bay now. A 1970 and a 1971 both in great shape... Awsome guitar and good investmen! I have nothing to do with these auctions...

SUPERB IN GREAT RELIC CONDITION , ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL Item number: 170211635597

Vintage Gibson SG Standard 1970 1969 guitar VERY CLEAN Item number: 220227335127

Since people have been talking about these lately there are a couple for sale on E-bay now. A 1970 and a 1971 both in great shape... Awsome guitar and good investmen! I have nothing to do with these auctions...

SUPERB IN GREAT RELIC CONDITION ' date=' ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL Item number: 170211635597

Vintage Gibson SG Standard 1970 1969 guitar VERY CLEAN Item number: 220227335127

[/quote']

It'll be intersting to see where these go. I'd prefer these guitars have an apprasal from a reputable appraiser and/or dealer. I'm sure more proespecive buyers would be more apt to bid.

It'll be intersting to see where these go. I'd prefer these guitars have an apprasal from a reputable appraiser and/or dealer. I'm sure more proespecive buyers would be more apt to bid.

Well most people who bid on these know what to look for... Good communication with the seller and lots of question and detail photo requests should tell all... I would half respect the appraisal from an appraiser but never from a dealer. The dealers will low ball you or over value a guitar depending on how they want to manipulate the guitar market... You will see the $16,000 to $25,000 SG's and Les Paul's on E-bay everyday but have you ever noticed that the big dollar guitars don't sell... They just keep coming back up on E-bay time after time and usually with 0 bids or Reserve not met.... Of course every now and then some dealer will get lucky and find a buyer who is caught up in the hype and drop the big bucks but not too often. The vintage guitars that sell from $2500 to $5000 move very well.... On E-bay you see what the market (buying public) will bring for any given guitar.

Research any guitar you are interested in yourself... Don't buy the first one that comes along unless it is a very good one at a good price... Another one will come on line soon after, they always do...

Agree, that's why those guitars are normally sold through reputable dealer who verify what is being sold, or auction houses who have had the guitars properly appaised and validated. The problem still reamins that buying over the internet does not allow a hands on inspection. Some sellers through misinformation they are given, pass along that misinformation as fact, and so so answers are not always accurate that you are given. This is why I stand by my take that an appraisal from a reputable dealer is the prescription for avoiding being stuck with a guitar that is misrepresented either on purpose or by ignorance.

And you're right, if you get a seller who will take pictures of pots, closeups of typical problem answers, and give you honest answers about what the guitar looks like in person (condition), then you may be comfortable foregoing an appraisal. And remember I am not saying an appraisel is needed on every single used guitar purchase, just those demanding the big bucks...

Archived