Gibson Brands Forums

Another pickup question.

Dub-T-123

Does the metal shielding on the pickup lead wire need to be soldered to the pot that is connected to the grounding? (in this case neck pup volume pot)

Before I changed anything, the two pickup wires were soldered together and to the grounded pot. I had to detatch them to take the old bridge pickup out. When I put the new pickup in, I plugged it in to check for problems. It was buzzing really loud in both positions. Then I noticed if I push the wires so that the shielding touches the pot like it originally did the noise stopped.

Unfortunately, since the new bridge pickup's wire couldn't reach, I had to graft another wire on. The metal sheilding of the bridge pickup can't reach the volume pot so the sheilding can't be grounded. The wire I put on doesn't have the metal braided shielding.

So am I wrong in thinking the shielding needs to be contacting the grounded pot?

If the shielding does need to contact the grounded pot, how would I do this with the wire situation I have? Do I need to use the wire with the metal braided sheilding?

I also noticed that when I touch the screw pole pieces on the bridge pickup it makes a loud buzzing sound.

I'm not an expert but these seem like grounding problems to me.

I really need help. My #1 axe is out of commission and I feel like I messed it up like an idiot.

Archived