Gibson Brands Forums

Flat busted and wanting to record

TommyK

What do y'all think about the various and sundry share ware (aka free) recording software like Audacity, FruityLoops and such. Any experience?

I know they won't be fully featured like something you spend real money for. I just want to do some recording and mixing to get my feet wet so I know what I want before I purchase a 'real' software package.

What do you use for microphones?

I want to record direct, since my amp has a line out.

Somehow, I don't think twiddling with a mic, is going to be much fun, especially with time constraints because of school and upcoming exams.

My room is also small, so when I tried recording with some crap mic, I moved my gear out to a bigger room.

I did notice my solid state sounded better there.

The tube, not so much, it sounded almost the same.

Oh yea, I use audacity

I don't understand half the things,mainly because they don't seem to do much. except record, stop, play, loop etc

One USB interface which I want to pick up, comes with Guitar Rig I think..

Its the Lexicon Alpha? lexicon something for 79.

I've used Audacity and it's not too bad. It does have effects, the functions are well thought out and the interface is easy to use. There isn't really that much need to spend money if all you need is the basic stuff. As for the mike, you'll have to spend a few bucks but decent stuff that plugs into a USB port is pretty cheap.

Archived