Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ABR-1 bridge

guitardoc

Brand new member here. I am trying to identify and possibly date a Gibson ABR-1 bridge that I have. It is different than most that I have seen. It doesn't have the patent # but it does have the wire retainer so that makes it later than '62, right? The saddles appear to be brass and they are notched. The spread is 54 mm. The two center saddles are notched in the center of the saddle but the two outside ones on each side are slightly offset towards the outside. It came into my possession along with a rosewood archtop bridge support. Any help that you experts can give me will be greatly appreciated.

It came into my possession along with a rosewood archtop bridge support.

IF...this piece is from a Gibson guitar it should have a serial number written in the bottom, which would be the guitar it was originally carved for. This would also help date it.

There is nothing on the bottom of the rosewood piece. I got this in a box of guitar parts that I bought from the widow of the owner so the support probably isn't Gibson. On the bottom of the bridge itself it simply says Gibson ABR-1 followed by some sort of symbol.

As to the pics, I will try to snap a couple in a few minutes and post them.

Thanks

These ABR-1 bridges with casting symbol and chrome finish were only made late 1965 / early '66. The wide spacing of the saddle notches is most likely due to it being fitted to a guitar with no fretboard binding - such as the ES 125.

ES125s of this time can be seen with the chrome ABR.

The ABR was made from a zinc alloy sometimes called 'mazak' or 'pot-metal'. It can easily be chromed - as can many metals of course.

Archived