Gibson Brands Forums

pickups for epi dot

longboarder

If you like the sound of the pickups but want more brightness then change the Volume potentiomenters from the stock 300k to 500k.

If you are looking for a complete change of tone then probably saying what kind of music you play would help.

I feel I came off kinda strong. Let me rephrase: At the epi forums, there are tons of people that have modded their epiphones, and are very willing to share their experiences.

You might want to take a check over there. But as Stiffhand said, if you shared what music you are playing, we might be able to help better.

Cant find any Epiphone furums.

I play mostly Rock and blues but would like a brighter sound

Do you recommend changing the volume pots or the tone pots?

thank you

Here's the front door to the Epi forums. Sorry it's so confusing' date=' don't know why it's like that. You'll get advice in here but a LOT more expertise with your Epi over "there". Best of luck with your tone-quest. And welcome to our forums. [lol

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx

I feel I came off kinda strong. Let me rephrase: At the epi forums' date=' there are tons of people that have modded their epiphones, and are very willing to share their experiences.

You might want to take a check over there. But as Stiffhand said, if you shared what music you are playing, we might be able to help better.[/quote']

Yeah you hard ***! :- [cool]

Do you recommend changing the volume pots or the tone pots?

thank you

The tone pots are already 500K' date=' the volume pots most likely are 300K stock, changing them to 500k will brighten and clear the sound a bit.

If you do not dislike the current pickups then changing pots is a lot cheaper.

Epis unfortunately come with very low grade potentiometers, perhaps Alpha (brand)made specially for them at lower price/quality (Alpha pots can be good).

One thing to notice is that import pots have different number of grooves on the shaft so your knobs may not fit USA made pots, only imports.

I recently bought an Alpha pot for the same reason, that I would not have to change knobs and while the pot is built with light materials the taper and feel are really good, very smooth.

In short if you upgrade only the volume pots aftermarket Alpha's is not a bad idea, if you replace all pots knowing that you [i']may[/i] have to replace knobs then go with good quality CTS pots. More expensive but worth it.

An even after that if you still do not like the pickups then any other pickups you buy will benefit from the better pots.

Archived