Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Cases

charliejg

I have a Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop circa 1970 - 71. Back in 1980 I purchased a retro Gibson case for it. It is the brownish colored case with the gold Gibson lettering and has the purple plush interior. Recently, the handle broke off of the case. So, I'm wondering if anyone can help with either of the following:

1. Can anyone suggest a repair solution that will not look "repaired"?

2. Can anyone point me to a reputable location where I could find an original case for this guitar?

Finally, I'm also looking for an original style cover for the 3-position pickup selector switch on this guitar. The original finally cracked and came apart.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Charlie

charliejg@gmail.com

lp.jpg

If you go on ebay and punch in Vintage Gibson all kinds of stuff will come up. You may even find a replacement handle from the same time period... I have seen them for sale on ebay before. You also might want to try www.allparts.com they maight have some handles too. I wouldn't replace the whole case because the handle is broken. The case in the photo you posted looks great... Just fix it.

As for the handle repair, I've seen many case handles of all types on e-bay as mentioned.

A local solution is to find a luggage repair shop. They should be able to order you an exact repacement handle and install in for you if necessary. I can't see well enough from the photo, but depending on the mounting hardware, all you may need is the handle itself. I have repaired/replaced many case handles and other case hardware, and a good luggage repair shop can order just what you need.

If you want to post a closeup pic of the handle mounting hardware, I can tell you if you need just a handle, or if you need a handle and brackets.

I never have trusted the handles on the Gibson cases except the 80's plasitc

case. No that a case. I have jumped on it and surfed across the floor before

and never damaged it. I myself prefer the 80's plastic. Why did they stop

making them I wonder. Take it to a luggage repair shop they will be able to

fix the handle. Welcome to the forum.

CW

Archived