Gibson Brands Forums

Take THAT, James Cameron!

Shnate McDuanus

He didn't win for Avatar, so apparently the children have stayed up late to celebrate.

I think Avatar won what it should have.... best effects, cinematography and art direction.

Was kinda funny, his reaction to getting beat by his ex-wife....

He didn't win for Avatar' date=' [b']so apparently the children have stayed up late to celebrate[/b].

Ah, good one. Such a clever boy you are. [thumbup] Thanks for the "subtle" insult.

What was ridiculous was to even consider it for the Best Picture in the first place. Predictable, uninspired, insubstantial and devoid of grace and subtlety.

If it wasn't James Cameron's Avatar, and if it didn't have such an enormous budget, and if it didn't have such a huge worldwide gross it probably wouldn't have even been considered for the Best Picture category.

It was an entertaining movie for its visual impact and its action scenes, sure, but at the very end I found that I simply didn't feel satisfied with what was presented, and I felt let-down because it was so gratuitously hyped. People decided that they loved it before it even came out. It wasn't realism I was craving (the notion of realism in cinema has never attracted or impressed me on its own terms, I think that attempts at realism are often thoughtless efforts by thoughtless directors who want to appear "deep,") so don't think I'm one of those nutcases. I was interested in seeing a little bit of well-placed subtlety and compelling, complex characters, and that's simply not what I saw. I'm one of those nutcases. [thumbup]

As a film enthusiast, and a bit of an elitist (if you think about the concept, you'll see there's nothing inherently wrong with that--elitism shows discernment, and after all everyone's an elitist. If you don't believe me, think about something you really strongly dislike, and if you can find it, you're in the same boat as the rest of us--and if you can't find it, you're lying to yourself,) and I do think that films like Avatar have their place. I just don't think that that place in particular is the Oscar stage.

Feel free to disagree, and if you think I'm being a d!ck that's fine, but before you decide you want to trivialize my opinions, it may do you some good to consider that I may have actually thought them out.

And no, I won't apologize. These are my opinions, and I shouldn't have to apologize for them.

These are my opinions' date=' and I shouldn't have to apologize for them.[/quote']

You don't just realize there are a couple hundred million people that disagree with you. I loved that movie, I thought the story line was great, imaginative, entertaining, valid, contemporary... I was shocked it didn't win best picture but as I said earlier I have to go see Hurt Locker now.

Ah' date=' good one. Such a clever [b']FELLOW [/b]you are. [rolleyes] Thanks for the "subtle" insult.

<snip assorted gobsh¡te>

Fixed! I've not really gone by "Boy" since I hit 35 or so... unless you're older than me.

Which you aren't.

It's alarming, but it's true, people DO judge you by the words you use. Your opening post demonstrated all of the eloquence of a drunken 8 year old. Had you chosen to elucidate with some of your more intelligent commentary, and demonstrated any actual knowledge or expertise you'd gained as a novice film buff, I'd have likely left the children comment out. Instead, you chose to start a thread with a childish taunt.

Don't like how people view you? Change your actions.

It's an awards show. For entertainment purposes. Just like the Grammys. When ABC asked **** Clark to develop a music awards show, he came up with the AMAs. Just for a ratings boost. A popularity contest. How many awards did Taylor Swift win? Ever hear her sing?

It's an awards show. For entertainment purposes. Just like the Grammys. When ABC asked **** Clark to develop a music awards show' date=' he came up with the AMAs. Just for a ratings boost. A popularity contest. How many awards did Taylor Swift win? Ever hear her sing? [/quote']

Yep. She earned every one of her awards. Very talented young lady. Very talented.

Actually, the Grammy's and Oscars are recognition. Do you get performance reviews at work? Come up for pay raises? Employee of the month?

That's what the major award shows are for the folks in industries where these things don't exist.

+1 on AMA, People's Choice, and the various and sundry other awards shows created to capitalize on the success of the original major awards shows.

Archived