Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird V vs. Firebird Studio

Silverback

I have a 97 V. I can't say I've tried both but, different pickups will make for a different sound, and the Studio model has a conventional neck, not the laminated neck-through-body of the traditional Firebird. I would think that the Studio model would sound more like an SG. The smaller humbuckers on the Firebird V have a glassy treble sound, while still keeping that humbucker growl, kind of like half way between a single coil and a humbucker.

Many owners of recent Firebird V 's replace the pickups, as apparently they're not the same as the original 60's ones. I haven't as yet done this to mine, though, on my amp I turn the treble and presence down a significant amount when I play the Firebird compared to when I play my SG or LPS.

I have a Firebird Studio and its one of my favorite guitars as I would compare it to - SG meets LP. You get the midrange tone of the SG but the thunder from the LP. If you are into that - its great!

I have played a Firebird V and they are solid guitars but I am not a big fan of the mini-humbuckers

I have not played a FB studio. But I do own a FB V. I may add that the stock ceramic minihumbuckers may not be the most popular minihumbuckers around. Many (at least some) FB owners replace these high output ceramic minihumbuckers with lower output ALNICO minihumbuckers. I did.

I have been told that the original FBs of the '60s with minihumbuckers do not sound like the current FB with ceramic minihumbuckers.

I have a Firebird Studio and its one of my favorite guitars as I would compare it to - SG meets LP. You get the midrange tone of the SG but the thunder from the LP.

Exactly like that.From crystal, airy cleans to great growl.I own 2005 Firebird Studio.Mine is tuned into open G, great blues axe...anyhow, it is very versatile for all kind of music.The V is a bit more "treble-oriented" with stock pups, though.

Archived