Gibson Brands Forums

New VOS LP 58 won't hold tune

akirasan

Just picked up a new (4 days old) VOS LP 58 and the bugger won't hold a tune on the G/B combo for more than one song. I never had issues with my old '74 (which was stolen, why I bought a new one). Is this an oddity or part of the current breed?

Hi, welcome to the forums. My R7 Gold Top stays in tune for gigs so I don't think its a general design fault!

Simple question, have you stretched the strings in yet?

Is there any audible string slips through the nut? If so, try graphite dust from pencil in nut grooves.

Adding to the excellent points made by ibis...

I never expect a guitar to hold tune the first month I own it. After it's set up with my preferred string gauge, tuning, intonation and string height are set, it usually takes a while for a guitar to settle.

This holds true especially for mahogany necks it would seem. Maple necked guitars don't take as long and usually settle within a matter of days.

Don't sweat it. Play the guitar as much as possible, always making sure she's in tune. You'll see tuning stability improve over the next couple of weeks.

Ive never heard of playing for a while to make it stay in tune . I would expect it to hold tune right of the box . I bought a VOS custom 57 LP in December . Holds tune like a champ . Take it back to your dealer and demand satisfaction . I'm sure you put down a few dollars for it !

Ive never heard of playing for a while to make it stay in tune . I would expect it to hold tune right of the box . I bought a VOS custom 57 LP in December . Holds tune like a champ . Take it back to your dealer and demand satisfaction . I'm sure you put down a few dollars for it !

Well, Ibis and Sancho speak the truth. There is a lot going on right out of the box and some factors you would never think of that would effect sustained tuning. Most guitarist will expect string stretching, but there is also the environemnt adjustment, if any, from where your guitar was to where it is now (woods are alive), as well as a newly cut nut may have a need for he string to work in (graphite as recommended helps).

Acoustic guitars really underscore these factors more (wood wise), but electrics are not immune from the side effects. In time and with proper car your guitar will be just fine.

Thanks for the input. Been many a year since I've had to buy a new guitar but I don't recall ever having this issue, and I've owned a lot of Gibsons over the years. This axe was out for awhile at the shop and had test play on it already, rather than a fresh out-of-the-box. I always give new strings a good yank to make sure there's no extra slip available, and I haven't heard the infamous nut twang when tuning. Guess it's back to the shop...

Well' date=' Ibis and Sancho speak the truth. There is a lot going on right out of the box and some factors you would never think of that would effect sustained tuning. Most guitarist will expect string stretching, but there is also the environemnt adjustment, if any, from where your guitar was to where it is now (woods are alive), as well as a newly cut nut may have a need for he string to work in (graphite as recommended helps).

Acoustic guitars really underscore these factors more (wood wise), but electrics are not immune from the side effects. In time and with proper car your guitar will be just fine.[/quote']

Im not doubting you but i ve been a gigging player for over 30 years and own 15 guitars . Ive never that had that sort of a problem with a new guitar . Sure ive had setups done, and tweaking here and there but sounds like there may be some issues with Ikirisans guitar . The last Gibson (VOS LP) guitar i bought came from memphis to South carolina . I took it out of the box myself and i havent had any tuning issues . Ive bought a Prs, Tom Anderson and a Joe perry boneyard over the last two years and no tuning issue with any of them .

Archived