Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-175 with neck PU off-level?

kodax

I just got a limited run 2006 Gibson ES-175D Antique red w/P90s.

It plays like a dream, and it also looks really stunning, but I got one big concerne. The neck pickup looks like its off-level

compared to the rest (sorry for my bad english). Don't know if this is because of a depression or bulk in the top (there are no visible cracks or other defaults, the finish is 10/10), or maybe more likely a production fault? I haven't tried it amplified yet, but I think the pickup must be hightened somehow?

22966d1268840970-just-boght-wine-red-es-175-w-p90s-dsc_6839-edit.jpg

22967d1268841001-just-boght-wine-red-es-175-w-p90s-dsc_6842-edit.jpg

This is typical of Gibson carved top and archtop guitars. Gibson DOES NOT custom fit the pickup rings to each individual instrument, they are just pulled out of stock and screwed down to the top. Some fit better than others.

The only way to remedy this issue is to get a new set of pickup rings and have the bottoms custom contoured to fit the specific arch of your guitar top, and neck angle.

This is typical of Gibson carved top and archtop guitars. Gibson DOES NOT custom fit the pickup rings to each individual instrument' date=' they are just pulled out of stock and screwed down to the top. Some fit better than others.

The only way to remedy this issue is to get a new set of pickup rings and have the bottoms custom contoured to fit the specific arch of your guitar top, and neck angle.[/quote']

There is no pickup ring at all on the neck pickup, (and I didn't think there should be one either?)

But the remedy would be as you say to buy one and custom contoured it, (as long of course as the problem is not an ongoing depression/deformation..)

Larry:

Is that the only solution... I am no p-90 archtop expert... But I can recall when I owned my Epi ES-295' date=' that I used some kind of soft foam material to remedy this situation... I got it at the local sewing shop... [/quote']

Some have suggested using the foam from a regular mouse pad (as long as the material does not react with the nitro).

Jason Lollar selles shims for his p90 pickups.

I use them for the P90 on the neck of my Epi Emp Reg.

I installed the covers the same way I install a bridge:

Tape sandpaper (grit up) on the top of the guitar.

Hold the cover at the correct angle and rub it against the sandpaper.

As you wear away the cover eventually it will fit to the shape of the sandpaper (which fits to the shape of the top)

Here is pics for installing a bridge... same idea.

http://www.euroguitars.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50

Jason Lollar selles shims for his p90 pickups.

I use them for the P90 on the neck of my Epi Emp Reg.

I installed the covers the same way I install a bridge:

Tape sandpaper (grit up) on the top of the guitar.

Hold the cover at the correct angle and rub it against the sandpaper.

As you wear away the cover eventually it will fit to the shape of the sandpaper (which fits to the shape of the top)

Here is pics for installing a bridge... same idea.

http://www.euroguitars.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50

That sounds like the perfect solution (if I don't hand it over to a tech).

Thanks!

hey kodax -

congrats on the ES-175! I have a similar guitar, part of the same run of P-90 equipped

ES-175's in 2006. It's pretty much my all-time favorite electric guitar. I've converted it

to an ES-175/295 hybrid and have had all sorts of mods done to it. I LOVE this guitar.

Like you, I was curious about the neck pickup mounting. I've had numerous ES guitars

with P-90's and kinda knew that's how the tops are. I've actually hand-carved about 3-5

different neck pickup spacers, in both hard rock maple or basswood. It's a pretty insane

job to take on, but totally doable. I finished all in nitro lacquer too.

I had a really nice solid maple one on my ES-175 for a bit. Then I started learning more

about the history of the guitars, eventually bought a real 1954 and kinda re-evaluated

my thoughts about the neck pickup location / mounting.

Turns out the spacer is kinda lame with the newer higher-output P-90's these days.

Instead, I opted to adjust the polepieces to compensate for the radical angle that

the pickup was mounted and just bailed on the whole shim / spacer idea.

I've included before and after pics for you to check out. Good luck,

these are great reissues!

g

current:

es-295175.jpg

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

previously:

IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8761.jpg

here's one I made for an ES-5 (middle pickup)

IMG_9206.JPG

That is teo seriously good looking guitars you have there! I have absolutely no regrets about buying mine in antique red, but I'd love to have one in burst as well:)

And the Bigsby looks awsome on the 175. I got absolutely no use for a vibrato, but maybe I'll end up adding one just for the looks of it. How does it keep in tune with that on?

Anyways, thanks for the info. I tried it out yesterday with my rockband (on my Orange Retro 50). It's a beast! Great raw screaming sound. Looks like I'll skip the spacing idea, it sounds good just adjusting the poles.

I guess the real test of the "true" sound of the guitar will be when I try it out with my jazzband on a cleaner amp, but I don't think it can go wrong. This lady is staying!

I see you got a strap button mounted on the back of the neckjoint. I have to put one on mine too. I know it might devalue the guitar some, but I bought the guitar to play on, and I don't get comfortable having the strap tied around the headstock.

Did you do that yourself? Is that the recomended place to put it? Did you get a special Gibson ES-175 button?

After some searching I guess the butt-end of the heel cap would be best for me. I've been told a Martin-style placement might be better concerning the direction of the wood, but that might interference with my left hand when playing.

hey guys,

thanks for the compliments!

kodax - yeah, when I bought mine, fullers had the vintage sunburst, the red, and the blonde.

the red is gorgeous, but I also like bursts. the links to your pics appear broken? would love to see yours!

these guitars are awesome for old school jazz tones, you should be totally set with just the

pole piece / screw height adjustment.

as for the mods / strap button... it's all personal preference. I do all my own work with the

exception of neck resets, refrets or milling / dressing. simply don't have the time / space.

but yeah, I added schaller straplocks since it's my main electric I play at rehearsal and shows.

- - - -

CajunBlues - thanks too! I joke and call her my "195". [blink] The ES-5 (three pickups) is long gone,

traded towards a 1954 ES-175D. I used to have a closet full of electrics and acoustics... new & vintage.

Probably 12 guitars total? Anyway, ended up trading and selling almost all of them, with the

exception of the "195" above, two vintage ES's and a J-45TV.

Again, would love to see your guitar kodax. Try reposting?

g

kodax -

almost forgot about your Bigsby questions... I have B6's on all my ES's.

I'm not a jazzer, so I actually use it quite a bit and actually prefer it

to a fixed tailpiece for how / what I play. but that's me... lol.

lots of other people poo poo them for whatever reasons. if you're at

all concerned about resale, I'd suggest leaving it as is.

anyway, in terms of using the Bigsby, I've never had a problem unless

I break a string (which is a rare thing using .012's). so all my guitars

are setup, dialed in and stay in tune with the Bigsby. it's all about proper

setup, proper nut slots, etc. I've had my reissue above Plek'd / leveled

and they also dialed in the nut and saddles too.

but yeah, for jazz I'd keep the trapeze.

• 1 month later...

I purchased an ES-175 with P90's a little over a year ago from the same limited run that Gibson did in 2006. I got an INCREDIBLE deal on it at the 2009 Dallas Guitar Show from Fuller's Vintage in Houston, TX. (The show was slow, and I think the owner just wanted to move something that day.)

In any event, it's an Antique Natural finish with enough figured maple to blow your eyes out. It also has the same 'problem' described by kodax. I use quotes here because while I thought the off-kilter neck P90 would be a problem, I haven't found it to be so (sonically speaking).

I think the 'problem' stems from the fact that over the years, Gibson has decided ti change the shape of the top a bit where the pickup switch sits. If you'll notice, the laminate maple top bulges a little around it, no doubt -- pressed into that shape during manufacture. (I also had an ES-175 with Classic '57 humbuckers for a time, and the top of that guitar was made with the same bulge.) Older examples of the ES-175 or much more flat in that area.

As I said, the not-so-level neck pickup bothered me at first, but when I found that it didn't seem to affect the tone at all -- I simply forgot about it. In fact, I did an A/B test between a P90 model and one with Classic '57s, and I fell in love with the P90s! (Bear in mind that I use this guitar for raunchy electric blues, rock.....AND jazz.)

My advice? If the guitar sounds good to you when switching through the pickup settings -- don't worry about a thing. I wouldn't bother going through the trouble of trying to modify the pickup height, only to find you hadn't really accomplished anything.

"My advice? If the guitar sounds good to you when switching through the pickup settings -- don't worry about a thing. I wouldn't bother going through the trouble of trying to modify the pickup height, only to find you hadn't really accomplished anything."

My thought too...

m

Archived