Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo-type Tuning Key Alternates for Firebird

lakehaus

I'm not impressed with the tuners on my '97 Firebird. The nut is tweaked and fine. The guitar was set up perfectly with new strings (10-42), truss set with minimal relief, and intonation is as good as it gets. Yet after 20 mins or less, the guitar goes out of tune particularly the low E and G.

I've seen Steinberger's used, but I want to know if any other brands are out there and proven reliable. What about Waverly banjo tuners? 'Spensive, but if they'll stay in tune, I'll get 'em. What else?

Has anyone had their stock tuners reworked?

Just looking for alternatives....

I'm betting the E and G nut slots are not cut deep enough. Either that or you did not let the strings stretch enough when you first put them on and intonated it. There is nothing wrong with the stock tuners. They don't just move on their own

You may be right... I'll check the depth on all slots.

Check that out' date=' but if you want to know about the Steinberger's. I have them on my V(Gibsom 50th.Comm) and they are great tuners.[/quote']

I heard about those... I may check into them.

I checked the slot depths using this method: mic'd the height of the first fret (.041"), then stacked feeler gauges to that value + .020" (low E), and ~+ .010" (high E). The low E slot was off, so I filled with bone dust and superglue, then filed to + .020". The rest of the slots needed minor smoothing treatment, but depth was fine. Then I lubed the slots, and replaced the strings. RESULT - The low E holds tune better now, but the G is still in need of attention.

NOTE - 2 of the 6 tuners do not operate smoothly under tension (one, of course, being the G - the other is the A).

When I have time I may see if I can open a tuner case to see what's up. Meanwhile, I'll install a bone nut and continue researching / shopping for replacement tuners.

When I have time I may see if I can open a tuner case to see what's up. Meanwhile' date=' I'll install a bone nut and continue researching / shopping for replacement tuners.[/quote']

If you're going to that trouble, take the two tuners off of the strings giving you problems and move them to two strings that are currently fine (for example, your high E and [thumbup]. If the low E and G keep going out of tune, you'll know it's not the tuners. If your high E and B start going out of tune...

Archived