Gibson Brands Forums

Quality Control Question

mandoleer

I just took delivery of a LH Elliot Easton SG. When I inspected the guitar, it seemed to me that it was not QC'd very well. The binding at the pickup end of the fretboard is unfinished and has red ink or wax pencil markings on the binding and the whole associated area is caked with polishing compound. I purchased the guitar from Southpaw Guitars in Houston, TX, but live in the Nashville area. I would like to know the best way to fix it myself or to obtain speedy and resonable service in the Nashville area.

Since you are in Nashville, just bring the guitar by the Custom Shop and we will address the issues. Please give our Operations Manager, Mike McGuire, a call before coming in. The phone number here is 615-238-0465...just ask the receptionist to transfer you to Mike.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Mandoleer

i agree that you shouldn't recieve a guitar with the rubbing compound still left on it and binding issues. but i think you will have to agree great customer service, and fortunately for you, you are close by. Let us know how your issue is resolved as well as the custom shops feelings toward your issues.

Gibson is making some great guitars, and their customer service is great, but i think they could save some money, reducing the need for RA's shipping back etc., and even bolster their reputation by insisting on better final inspections and cleaning up the compound before boxing them up.

By the way admin, great new forum cite.

peace

To ES345:

Customer service is is on the good side right now but I felt pressured to buy my Gibson Lefty ASAP based on the Chicken Little "No More Lefties" message. If the decision was based on ROI v. Demand, then the heads should have said so.

I believe the deletion of lefties was a business decision (ala OPEC), not a lack of interest or demand. I have had three Lefty Gibson "In Stock" orders cancelled in the last year because, "Oops, we don't have it and we can't get it" replies. Insert the appropriate Forrest Gump statement here.

I wasn't aware they were discontinuing the lefty EE, anyway i am glad you got it and there is no doubt in my mind that they will fix the problems that you are having. I remember back in the early 50's when i first got a rental guitar for christmas and went to meet my instructor, being left handed and playing sports etc. i had been messing around with the guitar as a left hander, my instructor said "it dose not matter that you play baseball left handed you are going to play the guitar right handed" i didn't fight it, and after awhile, just like golf, it started to feel natural. I guess for many reasons for me it was a good decision. But i am glad you got a nice EE lefty.

peace

Archived