Gibson Brands Forums

modem problem

KL

I wondered if anyone can help me with this. My modem keeps going down. It's a few years old. I think it is when it is getting hot after being on all day. If I turn it off for a while it restarts ok. I do have another brand new (different make) modem. If I change over to the new modem will I have to do a lot of setting up etc, or can I just switch over to a new modem without any problem? Thanks very much.

I wondered if anyone can help me with this. My modem keeps going down. It's a few years old. I think it is when it is getting hot after being on all day. If I turn it off for a while it restarts ok. I do have another brand new (different make) modem. If I change over to the new modem will I have to do a lot of setting up etc' date=' or can I just switch over to a new modem without any problem? Thanks very much.[/quote']

Is it a cable modem or dial up (or ISDN?)

(If it's cable, then Yoda is spot on, and your cable company will likely need the MAC address.)

Its pretty easy and most ISP's will allow you to change the modem by your self and assign the MAC addy by yourself. Plug in the new modem; connect pc straight to modem and release your ip and reaffirm it. Find out your new IP address and the new gatewate of the modem (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 depending on mfg) go to modem gateway through http and verify a connection to the the isp through a ip address' date=' if not open a webpage to your isp (others will be blocked) like ours is cableone.net and it should walk you through the rest of install reboot modem and release and reaffirm ip on local client. If any of this is not understandable go get a friend to do this for ya. Its really simple.[/quote']

Oy Vey!

[crying]

I don't know anyone I can borrow a modem off, but it's ok I have a new modem in the cupboard my current ISP sent me a couple of years ago. I just stayed hooked up to my old modem and it's been fine for a couple of years until now.

Archived