Gibson Brands Forums

Dare I adjust my truss rod?

macaibhistin

This fall my SWD developed a bit of a bow in the neck, mostly on the bottom strings side. I've keep the humidity the same in the house, and I am not sure why this bow developed, but it has made the strings a bit higher off the neck the further up you go 7-10th frets.

My question is, would a half turn, or so, on the truss rod help? Dare I try this on my own?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

[lol]

quarter (1/4) turns - - if it's a change in relief and not a change in the saddle/bridge/belly. Don't use the truss to adjust action, only use it to adjust neck relief.

1/4 turn. give it some time to settle in (5 minutes or so). Check the relief. If you need more, go another 1/4.

If it has to more that a 1/2 or 3/4 turn total, I recommend you have it looked at by a competent repair shop or luthier to figure out what, if anything, is going on.

Yes, clockwise will reduce relief in the neck.

The good thing is that Gibson truss rod work very well and a little turn will usually yield results. Echoing what BigKahune posted, 1/4 turn might be all you need.

Personally, I loosen the strings before tightening the truss rod. Can't speak for anyone else.

Archived