Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!! 1972? Yamaha FG 160E

mr newhaven

helllllllo everyone in gibsonville!

My G.A.S. overwhelmed me the other day...and I was pleasantly surprised by how it ended up actually...

I have my LG-2 3/4 Arlo Guthrie gibson and i love it!

its comfy, it plays really well, its ladder braced, and its just soo much fun...plus if woody thought that was good enough for his son...i imagine it will suit me just fine!

regardless...as is the case with all things...i found myself sometimes missing a larger guitar...

i miss the depth of sound...the bass...the volume...etc...

so i was fortunate enough to have a friend who wanted an amp and i have those...and in return no longer needed his yamaha...so boom!

i have a new (to me) guitar and he has a nice 5w practice amp...

here are some pics...

yamaha.jpg

and here is a close up of the sound hole/pickup...

yamahaclose.jpg

right now its tuned in open G and i am blown away by the tone!

its a green label Yamaha (not the red...but i dont mind!) and based on the label i put it as either a '72 or a '73 (Nippon Gakki MIJ)

i did some research and it appears to be laminate (i know some solid wood tops snuck out of the factory...and although inside the soundhole appears to be grained like a solid wood top...i read that some of the hole cutters left that type of marking inside the sound hole...im going to take a look in better light to see if i see layers...but for now im going to assume its a laminate!

its in almost perfect condition with just some small issues...one being the pup isn't grounded...but i see the ground wire inside the guitar so im sure it just needs to be re-soldered...

so what do you guys think?

i have no real experience with Yamaha's (i like to consider myself a gibson kinda guy...but for a straight up trade...how could i refuse?)

Thanks in advance for whatever you could tell me about this baby!

Nice looking. Congrats. [biggrin]

I've owned a couple of Yamahas. Both from the 70s. In fact I've still got a little G-55 A classical I acquired in the 70s. It's aged very nicely - mellow tone (cedar top and laminate b/s). I had a 6 that looked similar to yours, but without the electronics. I remember a buddy of mine had a 70s era Yamaha 12 string. Nice. I'm thinking for Yamaha, the vintage ones are a good buy. In recent years they've kind of went with the inexpensive value manufacturing and sales, but in the 70s they were aiming at the middle, quality and cost wise.

I have owned a couple 70's Yamahas and must say... Nice trade!!!

I had one, a Yamaha FG365S that had a solid top, but usually they designated the solid tops with a "S" in the model number like mine. My FG365S was a Martin copy with a beautiful 3 piece (laminated) back. Thing is, with most Yamahas, you really do have to ask how they get that kind of tone from laminates!?!?! Both Yamaha's I owned were supurb guitars. I actually cut a soundport into the small body FG I had and it made it even better!

Enjoy it, they take a licken and keep on ticken!!!

thanks for the kind words guy...

to be honest i wasnt expecting much from this laminate guitar (it looks like real wood but i read that sometimes a pattern can develop in the soundhole for no reason other than when they cut the soundhole the blade leaves that mark)

but man is it a crisp sounding...well balanced axe!

its not "red label" but it is made to a very high standard!

ive done some searching...and although i cannot find much info on the guitars other than the standard few lines...the one thing i did notice is that alot of the guitars for sale are made in Taiwan? so having an MIJ makes me feel a little bit better...but whatever...this is a sub $500 acoustic that sounds GREAT!

i recommend this to anyone with a bout of G.A.S. and some adventure in their blood!

this opens up to me a whole new area of acoustic guitars...i dont think its going to convert me from Gibson...i cannot see that happening...but it was a nice little diversion on my travels with gear...and i think this can be a very welcomed addition to my herd...

thanks for listening guys and im glad you enjoy the pics!

all i need to do now is change out the nut and saddle to either Bone or Tusq maybe add some pins...and ground the pup...(the ground wire fell out so i think a quick touch with the solder gun should do the trick!)

Archived