Gibson Brands Forums

New Bass

Jantha

Hey guys..

I used to play bass A LOT of years ago and I always loved it. Recently I've been playing with the idea of picking one up again, just to have fun and expand my musical abilities.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap bass? Say under $300. I'm thinking about an Ibanez GSR200 or GSR205. http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-GSR200 / http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-GSR205

If anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

the Ibanez basses are pretty good and really good when you get into their Prestige models...for what you want I'd say that the GSR series would probably be good...I'd also look into the fender's ....Oh and if you can find an Ibanez EDB 400 or something on that line..get it..never be disappointed [crying]

You probably played a bass with a 34" scale back when you played; but you might want to try playing a short scale bass like the Epiphone EB-O. I have found it a lot of fun to play because your fingers don't have to move around as much. A new one I think is in the price range you're looking for.

I have my Dads 65-66. Hofner Bass. Though it doesn't sustain well it has a great neck, especially for a guitar player. The transition going from guitar to bass is almost seamless.

But................. They are fragile, but I hear the new ones are much better built than the vintage Hoffeys

I recently "stole" what appeared to be a "very good" used Ibanez at an even better price. But I'm still messing with the setup that seems almost impossible with medium strings on the thing. The "high" G on the four-string seems to buzz at the first fret unless it's six or eight inches higher than the other strings. Hmmm. That string also seems a lot lighter than what I used in the old days on a Precision. A good learning experience.

That purchase brought these thoughts that may help a little.

1. I think the setup and strings may be more important than the brand. Strings seem a lot different from when I was using a Precision in the late 1970s. That's probably the fault of my geographical location and available "research."

2. I agree that I wish I'd picked up a shorter scale even if I hadda pay more. So... I may consider this one "swapping material." The Epi SG style bass looks kinda nice, too. The "enemy" here is the old "they" say this or that bass doesn't give the good sound for this or that style. Heck, if it and you play well, and are happy with the sound... who cares what scale or brand is on the headstock?

3. If you've got time and the place to do it, play a batch of different ones to see what feels right.

4. I think the amp is a lot more of the critical factor today than 35 years ago when there wasn't much out there. Various electronic gadgets also affect the sound.

5. Putting 3 and 4 together seems the ideal solution to me if I had a cupla more bucks and time. I don't like playing a guitar or bass that doesn't feel right. Today's amps can probably get better sounds for smaller venues than what we could get 30-40 years ago. Problem is there are so many, many options to look at compared to back then.

m

Thanks for the responses guys... that definitely gives me a few things to think about. I agree on the Epi SG Bass too.. It's kinda cool looking. I think I'm definitely going to try a short scale if I can find one around here somewhere.

Archived